Outboard Well

kevwr400

Re: Outboard Well

Post by kevwr400 »

Thanks Ian good advice, there is a small exhaust port in leg so i plan to blow air through the engine cover (the one yet to be made) venting out through the lower foot step on transom with a rubber flap to stop water coming back in, this should exit the little amount of fumes out and also the fumes from prop exhaust that will rise sitting at idle. yep the bilge is sealed ??? would sink if it wasn't! my reference to bilge pump, should have said blower.
kevwr400

Post by kevwr400 »

I was thinking of using 1 maybe 2 of these standard computer fans these are supposed to be semi water proof (go figure) but due to there low power consumption, 40 cfm flow rate, very cheap price and they are very easy to change and carry spares. I do have a larger blower but i think 40cfm or even 80 should be enough. The fans will be about 2 foot from water level. How much surge will you generaly get up through the well?
kevwr400

Post by kevwr400 »

sorry forgot pics
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Far from being a novice in this area I did make a well in a boat as an experiment (the boat was close to being written off) and the exhaust can be an issue, especially a smoky old 2-stroke without the through prop exhaust. That is why I suggested the air-cooled unit in my earlier post.

I am glad you have confidence in your boat-handling under power with the motor fixed. For mine I have often welcomed the ability to steer with both the rudder and the motor simultaneously when arriving at or leaving a dock or mooring.

WRT on water motoring I have had times where keeping the motor from cavitating has been difficult - with the motor in its normal position - however, a previous owner added an extra low setting for the height of the outboard on the mount, and if motorsailing on that tack, or in rough conditions for a reasonable length of time it is a relatively simple matter of lowering the motor even lower to this position. Cavitation is lessened significantly but not stopped as you have achieved. However, there is also the advantage of being able to raise the motor slightly on the other tack thus reducing how deeply the prop is held under water. The engine works better if the prop isn't held too deeply under water.

In any event - its your boat and you have to be happy with what you have done and why, and you are - I hope future purchasers of your boat are happy too.
Peter
Pip #127
kevwr400

Post by kevwr400 »

Thank you Peter for your opinions to this thread about 'Outboard Motor Well' although I think you may have got lost in those opinions!

I am sure most Investigator owners and TS owners experiment with their outboards to make them more effective when under motor, as I did. Maybe you could start a thread about tuning your outboard on a mount, would be a good thread.

But I am asking for ideas on my project. You said you modified a boat to have a well! How much surge of water did you get up the well when travelling? Did it have much vibration? The other disadvantages of this system how did you rectify the problems or did you just give up?

Modifying a boat 'to me' is the same as modifying a car, 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'

So, if I ever sell my Investigator, the new owner I’m sure will enjoy my cabin, well and keel mods.
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

kevwr400 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:09 pm Thanks for all idea's, pro's & con's. I have been sailing to and from jetties and beaches single handed all last season so the steering isn't to much of a concern, but the fumes seem to be the biggest draw back other than the loss of space. So the bilge blower will be incorporated into build. How was vibration in the E24?
Sorry bit late on reply Kev, my E24 's outboard in well didn't vibrate much. It was definitely a good design feature in that size of cockpit (not much different to an Investigators cockpit. I really liked the heavy seas performance, it felt like a solid safe setup offshore. It also had 2 fuel tank lockers, the doors formed the end wall of the cockpit, (vertical hatches) well designed right behind the outboard position, each locker held one 26L (5gal) fuel tank, so 52 Litres all up. The well was located about 1.2m (4ft) in from the transom, E24's have a fair bit of aft overhang.

How is your OB well going?
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Hi Steve, just as a matter of interest, can you tell me how thick is the piece of hull that you cut out.
Thanks
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."