Winch servicing

Watto
Investigator Boat Name: Ex - Fathom #82

Winch servicing

Post by Watto »

So my winches were “ok” when I got the boat, one sounded and felt better than the other. But within 3 months they have both seized up and become tough to use.

Tonight I stripped them down and degreased and taken all the parts back to raw in prep of oil and grease for the rebuild.

Already reassembly has proven they are within working order and even without the lubricants the parts are giving me a good click be snap as they rotate and snap into position.

How often do people service their winches?
Luke

-previously-
Fathom
Investigator sail #82
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Re: Winch servicing

Post by Peter T »

Hi Luke, there is a special grease to use on winches. Can be obtained from most chandeliers. I do mine every 12 months
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Re: Winch servicing

Post by Andrew »

Hi Luke My old cable winch gets a degrease and regrease every few years when the grease goes hard. It gets a little grease after each trip when the bearing buddies are repacked.

replaced the galvanized steel cable years ago when i noticed some "meat hook" loose strands the hard way. Buy gear like that from Bullivants tsv, they sell industrial lifting and hauling gear for cranes etc, chain and lifting web straps as well, great quality and price too.

Had to weld on a new base to the rusted winch post few years ago as well.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria