Toilet recommendations please.

General Sailing Talk
snoopebj

Toilet recommendations please.

Post by snoopebj »

Glad you were able to get to the bottom of it David. :lol:
I have always had a small Thetford 10l and had none of the problems you described. I did replace the seal once easily found on fleabay. The one big tip I was given was to use a couple of cups of Disan or Napisan powder instead of those expensive coloured sanitisers which I found next to useless and stank the boat out.
Hope the test drive goes well without accidents or explosions. :mrgreen:
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Re: Toilet recommendations please.

Post by Peter T »

Emrys, you are correct. We use the Black and Gold brand when we can get it in the loo in our caravan. Around three cap full's each time we empty it. It always seems available when we normally go to Qld for five months each winter ( but not this year of course) But we sometimes have trouble finding it down here in Tas. It's the best stuff out. Far better than those dreadful smelling chemicals which my wife can not tolerate

Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Greg
Investigator Boat Name: Law and Disorder

Post by Greg »

Thunder bucket all the way! Same bucket i use to flush the motor with the seat from BCF. If a number 2 needs to happen I insert a bin liner(s) and double bag it. Had a porta potty when i got the boat and it was a horrible thing.
Greg
Investigator #10 - Law & Disorder
Sydney

https://www.facebook.com/lawanddisorder563/
https://www.instagram.com/sv_lawanddisorder/
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

I have the smallest Thetford which is I assume 10 litres. The particular model I have is no longer available but it was at the time the shortest overall height PP available. I got it new still in the plastic on gummy for half price ;) from someone who bought it for a cancelled camping Holiday. No flushing leaks and always use napisan. How much are composting loos as per the video Emrys put up? Probably would not fit in an Investigator.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Perfect subject David for the butt of jokes and awful puns like that one.
Yep Ozzie the Napisan advice( from tsp I’m loathe to admit) was a game changer for us. Together wth a capful of washing up liquid in the flushing tank and you’re good to go.(literally)
The composting toilet idea in the video was interesting but impractical on a small boat I think.too tall and big.
When anchored I always like to remove the tiller and invert the rudder and put the potti against the transom with the bimini overhead I also have plastic side tarps clipped on to the bimini. So good in all weather frees up the cabin and I don’t moon the houseboat moored nearby.😵
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

I bought a "wanderer 10L" from BCF

https://www.bcf.com.au/p/wanderer-porta ... 23782.html

It has a low profile for forepeak cabin use.(also fits in the cockpit locker) It has worked without a drop leaked since new in 2014, It's kept out of the sun and still looks like new. Its robust and easy to pump. Use "Aqua chem green" (its expensive) but have also tried "Napisan" powder premixed in a plastic bottle (far cheaper)

Also have a small "No1's" bucket and chuck it aboard, used when away from civilization, which makes the Wanderer's blackwater tank last far longer.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria