Sleeping on the investigator

General Sailing Talk
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Re: Sleeping on the investigator

Post by Andrew »

Mangroves are ok, but i don't anchor too close. No rolling about.

ive left my chain in the bow locker, seems ok for most things (towing included) . only remove it for strong upwind slogs into sharp chop. For towing, the ball weight isnt excessive, still within 5-10% of GVM. If i went offshore, (like off tassy or nsw coast, or exposed qld waters) then it would probably go below in a crate..(found a good foldaway crate at bunnings)
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Sounds fine Andrew. I really meant more for people who have lots of weight on board to be aware of additional stuff and where it goes. I’ve discussed this a lot with my mechanic who’s also a mate and lots of other friends in regards to cars and vans. The common thread with boats is it’s amazing how much lots of little things add up weight wise.

When I stripped the boat out last haulout I intended to weight the contents before repack but did not complete the exercise. Anybody done that??

Little things like drinking water, filling the flush tank on your head. Esky and ice. Even after drinking the contents of your esky the weight is still on board 🤪

I think I’ve I wanted to carry a few extra metres of chain I’d put it under the floor panel either side of the keel case. Extra ballast close to C of G.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Most of the “I survived hurricane Dimbulb” articles in Cruising Helmsman indicates driving keelers ( yes keelers) onto mangrove banks is common practice. Worry about getting it off after it’s safe.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Remember of course the coda on the NSW capacity sticker.

This is a direct copy. Upper case text is not mine.

Warning
1. This is the maximum persons capacity for CALM WATERS. A reduction in maximum number MUST be made in adverse weather conditions or when on the open sea.
2. Capacity is assessed at 90kg per person (which includes additional allowance for personal gear). A child up to one year of age does not count. Each child over one year and under 12 years equals one half of an adult.
3. A stability analysis must be made by a competent person if loading arrangements exceeding those provided by this Safety Label are to be used.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)