New Trailer

Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Re: New Trailer

Post by Peter T »

Yes indeed David, Note your bunks in the second last photo. I will need a mate to help me set these up against the hull as its very difficult to hold them there and work out what is required at the same time and on your own. he only lives a few minutes away, so will get to that soon hopefully
Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Looks excellent Peter. Very practical design. Are you sure you don’t want to keep those mud guards ....might come in handy :lol:
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Thanks Ozzie, no mate have no use for rusted out mudguards 😬. I did however cut a length from the draw bar which I will use to make a fourth leg for my lathe, so I guess it had some good use, also the wheels were ok as they were galvanised. Ha Ha. Why would any company build a metal lathe with only three legs ? Beats me, it was most unstable. Won’t be any more though. It’s an English “ Scope” lathe, lovely little hobby tool. Come to think of it, it’s really a bench lathe, so it wasn’t the company’s fault at all.
MerryChristmas.
Regards Peter
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

No mate it’s all on the tip.
Cheers
Peter
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

The trailer looks great Peter, pride of the fleet. Many innovative details that will go into the minds of future trailer builders. Great it was passed by transport, but can't believe the no standard light board allowed bull**** of your state government. Could be all the curved hilly roads in Tassy are more dangerous, than our wide open fairly straight and level roads here. Seems theres far less red tape up north.

Anyway hope the first ramp trials go well.

Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Thanks Andrew. Am very happy with it. Best thing is that it works exceptionally well in conjunction with the lifting frame. There is just the right amount of room in front of the first and behind the second double keel rollers to get the lifting straps directly under the keel where they are required so that all I have to do to transfer the boat from the trailer to the lifting frame is to attach the slings on one side of the lifting frame, throw them under the boat as I said previously, jack up the trailer bit at a time from under the axle( one side then the other as I think too much weight to do it in the centre of the axle even though the axle is 45 x 45 solid.) until it’s high enough to connect the slings on the other side of the lifting frame. Once that’s done, just lower the trailer and there she hangs. Perfect. I do however use another pair of tie down straps to prevent the slings from spreading for and aft.
Will now need to do the fibreglass repairs under the boat and inside the side compartments of the centreboard case before I can try out the launching and retrieve functions of the trailer and how useful the tow bar extension and tilt function is.( David ( Private Eyes ) has very kindly offered to help with this fibreglassing project and with our combined fibreglassing experience and his expertise, we will make the boat as good if not better than it was when new. )
With it set up at the moment, there is exactly 100 kg weight on the tow ball and I reckon that will be perfect. As for the government Reg’s, what can I say? Complete idiots.
Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Here are some photos of the completed trailer.
CT1.JPG
CT2.JPG
CT3.JPG
CT4.JPG
Fairly long project, happy it is completed and without having used it, I would say the result has turned out to be exactly what I was looking for

Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Happy birthday Bill, and New Year Celebrations for the new trailer i bet Peter :D , professional looking right down to the last detail,

Interesting the lifting frame will also make for easier working on the bottom of the keel's fiberglass possible too.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria