Greetings From Topaz Bill

General Sailing Talk
IanS
Investigator Boat Name: Rhythm

Re: Greetings From Topaz Bill

Post by IanS »

Two interesting options, thanks both.

I hadn't thought nylon would be up to it but this one seems to be almost exactly the right hole spacing:
https://www.outbackadventures.net.au/pr ... pack-of-2/
hinge193652.jpg
hinge193652.jpg (27.32 KiB) Viewed 2626 times
Here's the original:
Hinge - 1 (1).jpg
Ian, Rhythm #121
IanS

Post by IanS »

And thanks for the Hasp & Staple Twist Lock David, they look perfect.
Ian, Rhythm #121
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

Ian,

Looks like a good thing. I tried to get the 3 hole option but from memory they were nil stock everywhere I looked.

I was wondering about the durability of plastic but in this forum or another one someone had used them for a while and they were a good thing. Working well for me.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Topaz Bill
Investigator Boat Name: Secret Chord

Post by Topaz Bill »

All good advice David and Ian. The last thing we want is to wish we had secure fittings when we are in a spot of bother. Your comment David about securing anchor is really important for offshore or bar crossing, disaster waiting to happen if it should come free in a knockdown. I'll read your posts again and do something secure with my anchor well hatch. You may know the story of the Yongala, a ship of 3 thousand tons lost off Townsville in 1911 when anchor released accidentally causing loss of all on board. It could happen to the best of us. Happy sailing.⛵😁
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

https://www.anzor.com.au/stainless-piano-hinge

You can actually get “plain” or “undrilled” stainless hinges. The ones above from an Australian company are piano hinges but there are plain ss butt hinges in fleabay Aust but unfortunately from a UK supply which puts prohibitive postage costs in the mix. Checked , but can’t find plain butt hinges in ss in Aus. It’s a pain drilling new holes in your boat , particularly if they are close to the old ones as even with filling it must leave the structure weakened.
753C137D-303A-42A4-A1B0-72138C047CB1.jpeg
These are large but I’m sure somewhere someone makes smaller ones. You would need cobalt drill bits to drill them out but they’re available at the green shed.

Check with local suppliers for those needing them . Interestingly I’ve found most of my original hinges to be quite good . I’ve replaced the front hatch ones but the anchor locker and cockpit ones just needed new rivets from memory.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

In regard to securing your anchor for heavy weather . As I’m only in enclosed waters I’m looking at an aluminium bar than slides in through the toe rail slot on one side of the anchor well hatch and out the other with a fixed stopper on one end and a decent R clip or shackle on the other. Shackle could be replaced with a padlock I guess on a mooring for security although in 30 years of mooring I’ve never had an anchor thieved.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Mainly to stop the anchor locker hatch flying open David. It has a finger catch but I doubt that would do much if the anchor come knocking from the inside. The short sharpe chop on LM in the shallow bits can produce some pretty violent movement if your unfortunate enough to be negotiating them at the wrong time. It’s why I know all the hiding spots.

In my case I doubt I’d have the time or inclination to disconnect or stow the pick and chain but a bar deployed through the front hatch would only take seconds to apply. Just a thought for others.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
IanS

Post by IanS »

Thanks Ozzie,

Undrilled hinges in stainless look like a good option. I noticed that site had some useful info on stainless:
https://www.anzor.com.au/blog/which-sta ... 304-or-316

They actually mention duplex for keel bolts and other marine applications. They also have stainless T-nuts and other interesting fasteners.

Ian
Ian, Rhythm #121