Don’t be shy of starting a new topic

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Don’t be shy of starting a new topic

Post by Ozzie »

Hi Investigators. Just finished starting a new topic in “Technical” regarding V berth. I went to add a few comments on my proposed new sleeping setup in Spritzig II from a previous thread and found it in page 5 of “Tikirri is Back” :lol:

This is not criticism at all, as with Geoff’s new software and search engine it’s relatively easy to find your old posts. But just thought I’d take the opportunity to say don’t be shy to start a new thread even for an old question. It just means others in the future may find it more easily. I tried a couple of search terms till I used “quarter” and sometimes cracking the right search term to find a bit of info is not easy for new members.

I think “thread drift” often generates much useful information and you won’t find any warnings from me that we’re common from overinflated egos on other forums, but if a thread drift starts generating lots of useful stuff :idea: :idea: :idea: please it’s better to start a new thread for ease of future reference. As moderators we can reorganise stuff but after things take off sometimes you can get a mix of on and off topic info that makes that confusing.

Anyone bought a good popup toaster lately :lol:
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Re: Don’t be shy of starting a new topic

Post by Geoff »

Thanks Ozzie, great info. I was never sure whether to add to a relevant topic from 2010 or to start a new one!
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Good Geoff. Just a note to posters here also and mostly to myself but it’s probably good to be specific in the title of a thread in the technical section. I’m very guilty of using smart Alec titles on threads which I’ll be the first to say could be misleading in future searches or draw massive Bot activity such as my “swinging, swinging keel “ title :oops: :oops: :lol:
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Good stuff, that "thread drift" (guilty of that one,!) and not naming a post accurately to aid searching etc

. Started a couple of new electronics posts cause the tech has advanced so much since older post were made. eg simple echo sounders morphing into fishfinding side scanning sonars etc.

Then realised technology is merging as well, so "thread merge"?! also occurs eg fish finders gaining gps capabilities. :?
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria