Making Water

Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Making Water

Post by Ozzie »

Ozzie wrote: Thu May 02, 2013 7:03 am But now you have pointed out they have drain holes ..... So technically they are not airtight. This is worrying as I have no idea if mine had the foam option. I've always considered that if the boat interior filled with water all would be sweet floatation wise but these drain holes could actually spoil that theory if the boat was being moved violently by waves could it not .

Make note to self ...lose sleep tonight worrying about Spritzig's floatation :shock:
I must be getting old, I’m not losing sleep over such things anymore. I would probably not worry too much, as after thinking about this again, if the buoyancy chambers have permanently open drain holes they will still hold air, think of trying to push a plastic bucket underwater with the open end down . Very difficult.

Also after living on the lake for nearly 65 years I’ve heard of very few boats sinking and in most cases if it’s boats larger than fishing tinnies it’s at mooring due to failed through hulls or similar. The sinking tragedies I’ve heard of are entering the lake, over the bar, approaching the entrance etc. Doesn’t mean you should not be careful and overstep the boats capability.

I think if it came to the worst case scenario I have confidence the boat will stay upright and keep us out of the water till help comes, just ensure that whatever you use for communication is reliable and has duplication/backup. If your not in enclosed waters an EPIRB is a must. It’s a sad story reading the saga of the timber fishing boat that went missing the second time after the biggest rescue in SA history. It is a lesson to all that sea safety is not to be taken lightly.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Too true Ozzie,

sad to hear about the "Margrel" going down with the owner, the southern ocean is not to be messed with. (if only he'd paid to truck it home..)

Recently got back from a 5 day 4 night cruise around Hinchinbrook Island. My longest trip in Teria. Mostly quite safe, and sprung no leaks, but did learn a few new Navigational things to improve for similar forays into unfamilar waters. Its a huge Island, did rough google measure of route 130-140km under motor and sail! On the 4th day had favorable winds and sailed about 70km's from the North to the south inside the channel.

On return bought a handheld Garmin GPS map78cs with marine charts (on special), also a mount frame. Thinking about getting an inexpensive depth sounder/fish finder (is that worth a new thread?)

On maritime safety, Just posted the GME MT400 EPIRB off to Sydney for its first (free) battery replacement and refurbishment.(most of the main sailing areas up here can go legally without one, so it wont stop sailing)
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Great stuff Andrew. It is great to see investigators being used to their full potential in open water. I have great faith in the boats just not in my ability to sail them in such conditions, but still great to see others doing it. We have travelled considerable sea miles all over the world and I’m always looking down from tall decks wondering what it would be like to be on a small sailing boat in the current conditions. Usually of course this is moderately calm as cruise boats always pick generally good weather corridors but given most of the ships are larger than the Titanic or indeed the battleship Missouri even crook weather feels pretty mild aboard, although we have been caught in a few rough passages such as Spirit of Tassie and the ferry across the Irish Sea from Belfast to Stranraer in Scotland, although for seasoned Brits that was probably a good day :lol: I keep up the good work guys.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)