Modified pushpit rail

Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Re: Modified pushpit rail

Post by Geoff »

Hi David,

Very good. I was only going to post pics of how basic the construction on this one is. A couple of pieces of aluminium flat bar bolted to the rudder casing, one bolt with a wingnut connecting the tiller.

Good that you have it sorted.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

No worries mate, good spotting. Gotta love the changes made on paper, saves a bucket of work and swearing.
Geoff

Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Great alternative solutions for similar proplems. Easy access is important as you get older. I’ve still got a section of rail above my ladder and sort of use it as an extension of the ladder. I’ve actually left my middle opening ungated not even my planned chain and so far it’s been ok. Just put rubber chair tips on the cut SS tube. If I haven’t fallen overboard by the end of this season I think I’ll just go with it.

Funny, but like David I noticed the rudder pintles first in the pics. In regards to replacement of such, prior to haulout I bought an SS led flush mount light from WW. My plan was to cut an opening directly behind the top pintles and replace them and use the light to fill the opening. A low mounted cockpit light shining around your knees actually is preferable to a higher mounted one shining in your eyes I’ve found. I was considering the hole may give sufficient access for a ring spanner taped to a stick to also undo and replace the bottom rudder mount as well. Anyway did not get around to it but not big job to do out on the mooring.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Ahhhh... So Ozzie and Dave, your boats dont have an inspection hatch?

Timeless has one right behind the top gudgeon, about 150mm down from transom top. I guess it was cut in to replace the original pintles?

I actually replaced it a couple of weeks ago, simply because it was UV affected and the Minister for Aesthetics said it looked tatty. The new one was about 10 bucks.

I live and learn.

Ozzie, I was so tempted to do just what you have done. Actually did at first. There are plenty of TS's with no rail or lifeline across the transom.
Geoff

Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Hi all, I am now thinking that because of the U V problem of the screw out plastic access hatches ( mine lasted no time at all on my last boat ), that I might make a stainless one with a ring of SS with 3 or 4 nuts welded to the boat side of it and then drill holes for those nuts to fit into into the fibreglass. Mount the ring with countersink ss small bolts between the nuts that are there ( you can get your hand inside the ring to do the nuts up ). Fit the ring using a good sealing compound and have the cover plate of ss with a rubber seal glued to it and screw it on with countersink ss metal threads into the nuts. You could then mount a light to the cover plate with enough spare wire to be able to remove the plate and lay it on the cockpit sole with the light still mounted. You could also fit a small hood to the top of the light if you wanted to to shield the light from shinning upwards and getting in your eye. Bit of mucking about, I know, but then again, I love messing about in boats, Ha ha.
So much to do and so little time. Where did I ever find time to go to work? Wouldn't have it any other way.

Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."