Trailer plans

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Trailer plans

Post by Ozzie »

I’ll will be most interested in what you decide on Peter. I’m openly admitting my knowledge of newer developments on trailer engineering are sadly lacking. In my younger days most of my colleges and I were interested in car and vehicle technology being involved in road design and road safety but life, marriage and children tended to turn cars into a necessary and costly evil :). It’s why I like boating and specifically the Investigator so much, simple, functional design, no winches in my case to gum up, light to tow, blah blah and similar preaching to the converted.

On a different tack, I’m actually thinking of a simple mod now on my own trailer where I could just replace the centre section with a split spine just for the length of the cb. My new neighbour is a tame boiler maker I’ll have to see what he’ll do for a few cases of beer. 🍺🍺
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Yes that’s what I intended to do, will post photos as I go and let you know success or otherwise
Cheers
Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Gday Peter,

I went through the whole process of totally rebuilding, modifying and hot dipping my trailer frame.(after years of patching up original) i have my own workshop and welder. Reused the drop axle and hubs/brakes/springs plus other fittings. Added extra keel rollers and new wheels.

Extended the draw bar allot, so havent needed the tilt function as the boat easily floats off and on the deeper trailer. (Tilt could be used at a spring low tide though..?)

I found that there are many different designs used for investigator trailers. I copied my trailer but also changed some parts to hopefully improve it.

My blog "waterways" has a detailed log of whole process. Has tags http://teria563.blogspot.com/search/label/trailer?m=0 to the trailer posts. I was thinking of drawing up plans but havent got around to it yet, still in the evaluation stage..but so far the performance is far better than the old trailer.

Andrew
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Hi Andrew, wow, what an interesting post, thanks so much for making me aware of it. Lots of ideas here and am sure I will use at least some of them. Will post photos as I go.
Thanks again, cheers
Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."