Swinging, swinging keel

Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Re: Swinging, swinging keel

Post by Andrew »

Hypothetical case, if my lift ring on galv steel centreboard corroded off.. might just drill a 1/4' hole through the plate just below the old ring to attach a SS shackle for the lift wire..simply spray the lift hole with cold gal paint.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

I think I've mentioned this in another thread but I ultimately welded a new mild steel ring onto my swinging cb and two packed the lot then metal paint and anti foul.( not as thick as that sounds ) All spectra pull cable 6 mm tied with buntline hitch and sika over for extra confidence. No issues so far . The hole with SS D shakle was my first thought but after I got everything cleaned up the new ring seemed the way to go. By the way drilling your cast iron cb is not easy I started seeing if a could fit an anode when I first moored the boat . Tough hole to drill ...gave up. You also may have electrolysis issues.

I am very surprised that there are so many rusty cbs in these photos . My moored for eight years cb us still relatively rust free I have no ideas why... all it got for the first 6 years was a blast of fishoil. I have truly expected to have needed a replacement by now. Maybe to galvanizer was extra generous the day it was dipped.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Now here's an old thread...nobody can say we don't follow up on threads here on 563 forum.

I had forgotten how long ago it was that I had the pull ring fail on the swing CB.

I note now it was seven years and it has finally failed again. Went out the other day to prepare for haulout and noted the cb cord was not lowering . At first I thought the cb was stuck but after suiting up and going under I found the board had been down for some time.

Report:
#the all spectra line was fine so that's at least 5 years old .
# ring which was only mild steel (to jive with cb material) and done with 2pack paint had worn through similar to before.
# after scraping off the growth the cb itself still had no real rust, just nice gal coating now 13 odd years in the briney. As I said earlier in this thread my galvo man must have been very generous back on that day in 1979.

All up I'm pretty happy with that result . I will repeat the procedure as before and hope I get another 7 years .
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Well, Spritzig II has had its reburbishment with many little things I've been meaning to do for some time. I will detail those elsewhere for anyone interested but I thought I'd mention the centre board here to keep it in the one thread.

This time I used a galavanised chain link as my pull ring. The previous mild steel ring had not rusted at all on the welded areas but the outer edge of the ring where the rope was attached was worn away. Even though I'd two packed it well a boat rocking on a mooring hundreds of thousands of time over many years would rub any coating away even if it were soft spectra rope.

By using a galvanised link I'm hoping to get longer from the ring. Naturally I had to grind off the gal from the side I welded to the CB but as noted the welded bits from the last ring were as strong as new and took some hard grinding to flatten off for the new ring.

If anyone tries this be sure to wear a respirator as gal when heated gives off toxic fumes. Fitting a respirator and a pair of glasses under a welding mask is loads of fun :shock:

As usual I attached the spectra with a buntline hitch which I marine siliconed up for extra security and then filled the eye of the chain link with silicon also to restrict movement of the rope . All experimental of course ....I'll tell you how it goes in another seven years.
Cb
Cb
IMG_0034.JPG (59.08 KiB) Viewed 3844 times
Two coats of killrust aluminium were applied after a light hand sanding . I did not attack it with an electric sander as most of the original gal coating is still there after 14 years in the water and hardly any actual rust on the CB.After this was taken the whole shebang was given two coats of anti foul.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

uische wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:48 pm Looks likes I'm not the only one with swinging keel issues. I managed to get it down after hours under the boat with rust falling all over my face. Built a DIY hoist with left over metal to get a better access. Will spend the next few days working on it, at the moment only brute force will move the CB down. I guess eventually I will have to replace the CB, does anyone knows where I can get one made in Melbourne?
Hi, Would you mind telling me the size and thickness of the steel you used to make this lifting frame.
Thank you Regards Peter T
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Hi Peter. There is a diagram on here , just can’t locate it at the moment, of the cb with dimensions but not sure if it has the thickness. I’m sure someone here will be up soon who has done the replacement who can assist.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Sorry :lol: late night and still half asleep when I read your post.... read lifting keel not lifting frame. It’s 65mm x 65 mm 2mm thickness . Feet extend 520 either way. And about 2100 wide. Now for more interesting news my friend has sold his Court27 and still has the frame which he’s up to sell. I would buy it myself but I have nowhere to store it as Mrs Ozzie is not keen on putting it in the lounge room :shock: Anyone can pm me if interested. Anyone interested can contact me. Located Lake Macquarie
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Thank you so much for your reply's . Now that I have that info, I reckon I will make one that can be dismantled and stored . Still to buy a boat but am off to look at one in a week or two. Cheers
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Sorry Peter but once again I’ve not given the right answer to your question. Because I started this thread ages ago I thought it was this thread

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=811&p=4303&hilit=Cutters#p4303

And I thought you were referring to my support stand which looks like this
B8B9E6B5-D83F-48DD-9BBB-E2804B2B87E6.jpeg
B8B9E6B5-D83F-48DD-9BBB-E2804B2B87E6.jpeg (63.25 KiB) Viewed 3277 times
and is what I gave you the dimensions for. Mine is actually owned by a mate and only supports the rear of the boat while the front remains on the trailer. You wanted to know the dimensions of the Saturn V launch gantry style one earlier in this thread.

That one belonged to uische who has not been active on the forum since 2013.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Thanks heaps. all info is most helpful. Hope to be able to give some good news early next week if all goes to plan

Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."