adjusting the rollers so the boat runs off well

Post by atles »

Hi guy :D long time no see
well skybird is now up for a refit new paint and other things
five years is a long time to play in the sea and sit in the sun
at the same time need to look at the trailer as well

but you know i never adjusted the rollers to help the boat run off better
so what is the best set up ?

regards atles (richard ) after this long on the site i think it time to use me name :lol:
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane
Yara50

Re: adjusting the rollers so the boat runs off well

Post by Yara50 »

Yes, the rear rollers or pads need to be lowered for launch and retrieve. Not only does it reduce the forces, but also you stand to "oil can" the hull, which means popping the hull inwards, if you don't do it.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Hi everyone, long time stuck on land! (except sailing 8ft dinghy)

I'm rebuilding my trailer..a work in progress. not sure if it will work but converted my 3 aft keel rollers into 3 double tilt rollers (so 6 rollers there now). My idea is if there are twice the rollers there should be half the loading on each one. Just want the boat to launch and retrieve easily in future. (it often got stuck before, and bent some of the aft keel roller axle pins sometimes, allot of keel weight bears on them)

My other idea to reduce loading on them while retrieving, was to extend my draw bar by about one meter. The trailer should then be deeper in the water, so hoping the boat will float on higher than before,, so less strain and winching too perhaps?
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Hi Andrew.
The weight of the boat should be on the keel, and not the hull. If you are bending the shafts of the keel rollers you probably are not tilting the trailer. Tilting reduces the load on the end roller. And the load on the keel!
You do not have to tilt the trailer, but then you need to go deeper in the water, so more of the load is taken by bouyancy of the boat.
See
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=373&p=1686&hilit=re ... 09ee#p1686
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
atles

Post by atles »

i have two adj rollers at the front base should i make them a lot higher so they help
push the boat down :?: and yes the pads at the back are a pain :roll:
atles
brisbane
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

No Atles you don’t want them higher. I lower them all well down even if the boat tilts a little side to side at the ramp it’s better to have any restrictions removed. It will slide off.

To those reading this fresh, I have replaced all my timber bunks with new treated pine ones over the years and NOT reused the original ribbed plastic skid material. Marine carpet is much kinder on the hull and does not scratch it like the plastic. Tip 8-) use a good correct sized ring spanner to lower your bunks or rollers. You will do this often and you want them tight for road transportation when you raise them again. (Don’t forget to raise them again ) The right ring spanner will prevent rounding the bolt head and give you good purchase to lock em up tight. Shifters are an invention of the devil, who, it is not widely known owned shares in a bolt factory.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
atles

Post by atles »

thanks ozzie i try it :D
atles
brisbane
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Still tinkering with the rollers and bunks on the trailer, trying to get the elusive effortless boat run off happening. Its probably obvious to everyone but me , but i forgot to marine grease all the roller pins before the first relaunch,, and the boat did get a bit stuck. Recently lifted the boat off rollers with hydraulic car jacks, dismantled and greased the pins etc. hope this works.

Ian and Ozzie, you mentioned the rear bunks causing a sticking problem. Lowering them before launch/retrieve is a must, that i also forgot about last trip, getting old and boat 2 years ashore, so maybe that caused it too. Sorry ozzie, got a devil's shifter spanner, but it is a good quality moly alloy one..

its always good to re-read some of these posts, i will experiment with the trailer tilt angle to reduce aft roller loading (have an adjustable restraining chain). the drawbar is longer too and will try a steeper ramp next trip, to try for floating off/on,
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Its easy to forget stuff when launching Andrew , who hasn’t forgotten to put bungs into a tinny before launching. Guilty :oops: .
I should add that Spritzig never actually just falls of the trailer like Ian’s now Geoff’s boat does. It usually needs a shove part of the way due to my rarely used rollers but without the bunks lowered it will happily sit there on full tilt all day without budging. My point earlier regarding the crunch was, if you pivoted down on that last roller without the tilt and didn’t have deep water you might get enough angle and force to crunch the bum before the water could slow it. You want that water adding buoyancy gently and taking the strain off boat and trailer. It’s always a good feeling when the water cradles the stern and it starts to float with no disasters or hernias.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)