Pop top parts

General Sailing Talk
Julian36

Pop top parts

Post by Julian36 »

I am the new proud owner of an I563. I am in the throws of sorting her out prior to launch. One of the previous owners has bolted down the pop top and removed all the struts. I have hunted around for bits and the best I have come up with so far are caravan canopy lifters. I think I may be able to get them to work but at 350 bucks I'm hesitant to take the chance. If anyone on the forum has a hint on where to get hold of spares or a new system I'd be apreciable.
The hatch is also just sitting atop the pop top. I presume the previous owner stowed it while sailing (would explain all the fibreglassing I've done to get it close to right) so I am also looking at a new slider arrangement.

Any advice from an experienced owner would be great.
Zephr

Re: Pop top parts

Post by Zephr »

Looking forward to suggestions, mine is still in working order just but am thinking of either refurbing it or trying something new with a higher roof and a viewing window that you can see out the front from inside standing up. That is my goal the biggest drawback for me is the limited height.
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Welcome Julian. You will find it difficult probably to get a satisfactory method of getting the pop top up to a useable height . I think Emrys has extended his with aluminium square section. He may be able to advise you. I wonder if some suitable hatchback window struts from an auto wreckers could be employed?

I hardly ever used my poptop as I'm 177 cm and can't stand under it anyway. I have removed the front flip down supports from mine as they interfere with my lockdown system but they can easily be replaced. I think the poptop would be more stable if the front had a flip out bar that used the mast to hold it up and locked it from moving forward and aft.

I have pondered if an alternative poptop arrangement would be to hinge it at the front and make a concertina style skirt much like the alternative style of poptop some VW Kombis had on the 70s. The canvas work would be expensive but the mechanism simply a big hinge. Would give you standing headroom at the high point at least.

http://lifeinavolkswagenbus.blogspot.co ... w-bus.html

Re the sliding hatch, there are posts on here somewhere showing the tabs on the front that guide it on the aluminium rails, that often break off with age . I have made blocks of plastic cutting board off cuts that screw in under the edge of the hatch to replace them.

Do you have any history or numbers on your Investigator563?
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
neilmac

Post by neilmac »

Hi Guys

I don't really get the point of the pop tops. I suppose people use it when cooking... If I cook its outside on a locker, but then again I've only cooked once or twice.
Neil
Compass Rose, Elsternwick Vic
Julian36

Post by Julian36 »

I think where I'm at with the pop top, is to forget the pop. I'm not going to re-bolt it down but rather use those black rubber bonnet latches underneath times 4. That way I can remove it completely on nice days, and it'll still be weather tight at other times.
The hatch still has me buggered. There is no evidence of there ever having been any hardware attached. There are brown nylon strips down either side of the pop top, clearly a track. There is next to no room either side of the hatch to fit a runner however. Love the bread board idea though. In the absence of any obvious solution, I may tinker in the shed. All my bits from whitworths arrived today, weather permitting, I'm going to attempt a sail this weekend. I will have a look for the hin tomorrow, no history beyond the last 6 months though. I will say that it hasn't been loved though. New name decals arriving Monday "Passing Wind".
Zephr

Post by Zephr »

Haha ripper name, agree don't get the pop top if you want to be outside generally sit in the cockpit but does come in handy on the rare occasion, talking with limited experience listen to others first ;)

For some reason I really want more of a view out the front when in the cabin feels a bit clostraphobic just me.
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102&p=313&hilit=hatch+slides#p313

This old post shows the metal hatch slides.

In rough weather I personally like the hatch, in fact all of them and the sliding bits firmly locked in place. In 50 odd years of boating I have only been in two really bad weather events but you usually have a lot of $#!+ to do and don't need to be worrying about hatches going moonwalking around the deck :shock: :)
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Julian36

Post by Julian36 »

Ahhhhh. That post clears things up. My hatch was so knocked about that there was no way of telling what the original design was. All four corners are damaged. I have something to work with now, so thanks very much for finding that old post.
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

Julian36 wrote:I think where I'm at with the pop top, is to forget the pop. I'm not going to re-bolt it down but rather use those black rubber bonnet latches underneath times 4. That way I can remove it completely on nice days, and it'll still be weather tight at other times.
The hatch still has me buggered. There is no evidence of there ever having been any hardware attached. There are brown nylon strips down either side of the pop top, clearly a track. There is next to no room either side of the hatch to fit a runner however. Love the bread board idea though. In the absence of any obvious solution, I may tinker in the shed. All my bits from whitworths arrived today, weather permitting, I'm going to attempt a sail this weekend. I will have a look for the hin tomorrow, no history beyond the last 6 months though. I will say that it hasn't been loved though. New name decals arriving Monday "Passing Wind".
Julian,

If you know the old name of your boat, the number on the sail, or even if you just post a photo, we might have spotted the boat before and give you some of her history. Many new owners drop by this forum when they first purchase their boat.
Ray
Investigator #39