Looking again in Victoria

General Sailing Talk
SoloSailor

Looking again in Victoria

Post by SoloSailor »

Hi everyone, it’s been a while. Hope everyone has been enjoying time on the water.
I have owned a few sail boats since my last visit here. Currently enjoying a Cal 14 on the Gippsland Lakes.
The thing I love about the Cal is its stability and skeg keel: it strikes me that it is probably very similar to an I563.
Just putting it out there that I would be interested if anyone has one for sale. The only problem with the Cal is that it doesn’t meet minimum length requirements for the Marlay Point Overnight Race. It’s the 50th next year and I am desperate to sail it with the family.
Cheers, thanks for listening! :-)
Mel
Yara50

Re: Looking again in Victoria

Post by Yara50 »

Hi Mel,
Nice to see you on here again.
When last I looked there were quite a few I563s for sale, including a bargain on the NSW Central Coast. The only problem with that one is the trailer does not have brakes, and if you take it to Vic you will have to fit brakes. (Might be gone by now.)
One a bit closer to you : https://yachthub.com/list/boats-for-sal ... 563/161877

Yesterday I was in your part of the World, at Tidal River. No time to go further East to look at the Lakes, unfortunately.

Actually I have to go to the NSW Central Coast next Friday, so if anyone wants me to take a look at that one, let me know. The ad is still on Gumtree.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

New listing on Gumtree as a "Yacht" . Location Sussex Inlet NSW. She (seller) is a bit optimistic on her price.
Ian B
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

Name on the side looks like Lady Nancy. I haven't seen this one before.
There can't be too many more out there that we haven't come across over the years. Could be time to publish my list of Investigator names again. I think I have collected more names than there were Investigators built.
Attachments
Lady Nancy.jpg
Ray
Investigator #39
neilmac

Post by neilmac »

Hi Mell and others

Phil Carr is selling his Investigator and he has asked me to post this to our site. (He has had problems login in)

Anyway this boat is, in my opinion, one of the best set up Investigators I've seen. I have sailed on it with Phil and really came to understand how a boat should be set up.
He really knew what he was doing.

So I thought I would just let the pics tell the story. Phil's mobile is 0490 481 464 or you can PM me for details. Phil lives in the South Eastern suburbs.

Neil
Compass Rose, Elsternwick Vic
PetrusP

Post by PetrusP »

One very nice, neat looking boat!
Petrus Pretorius

Investigator 563 #unknown 'Clever Girl'
Brisbane North
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

I like the uncluttered interior. No need for a lot of stuff below if the boat is only used for day sailing.
For the record, this boat is Investigator #4 Seabreeze Osprey, later renamed Solitaire.
Ray
Investigator #39
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Phil has advised the price for his boat (as seen above) is reduced to $6.9k
Ian B
SoloSailor

Post by SoloSailor »

Thanks everyone,
It seemed like a whole batch popped up for sale all at once.
I have had a great chat with Phil. Incredibly, it turned out that Phil was once the owner of the Cal 14 I now own. He set it up beautifully and I still have his name on some of the safety gear. Talk about a small world!!
So I have no doubt that Phil's I563 will be set up superbly; I just can't bring myself to commit to parting with the Cal, which I need to do to afford anything over $5K.
Decisions decisions.
Appreciate all the comments.
Best wishes,
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Hi Mel .

Welcome back to the bright side :D Phil's is indeed a nice looking boat but given the numbers of 563 s that are coming on the market , some below 4K it's a point that you can add a lot of stuff for less than another 3k even getting it done professionally. I understand your reluctance to sell the Cal. As long as my back holds up I haven't contemplated a possible future with only one water toy instead of the several I have now. But I think a Cal would be a great sail/ fish / explorer alternative in as easy to handle single unit.

Maybe you could go co- owner in the second boat with someone you know. Can't sail em both at once :lol:

Anyway good luck with your search / decision.

Ozzie

Ps # 4 has single hinge but small windows ....there were definitely a few alternative hull top moulds getting 'round.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)