Outhaul and reefing Query

Tenaciousgreen

Outhaul and reefing Query

Post by Tenaciousgreen »

Guys, More mast and boom stuff!

How are your outhauls on mainsail boom set up. Mine currently doesn't have one, the clew was tied to the end of the mast and I have no rigging for an outhaul?

Same with Mainsail reefing, the mainsail is new, and looks like previous owner just tied it down in the very old fashioned way! Looking to put a simple reefing system in that doesn't clutter our small boom.

Thanks
Rich Tolley
Yacht Name: Spirit of Christy
Mandurah, WA.
Steve

Re: Outhaul and reefing Query

Post by Steve »

Here are a few pictures
Attachments
outhaul 1.jpg
goose neck tack 2.jpg
goose neck tack.jpg
Steve

Post by Steve »

The line with the blue ball stopper is the out haul control it passes out of the boom through a jammer
outhaul 2.jpg
The reefing hook is placed in the reefing cringle tack and then the hook is lashed to the mast
reefing hook.jpg
reefing hook.jpg (84.34 KiB) Viewed 6083 times
On the boom is the turning block for the 2nd reefing line, the line passes through the block and is cleated to the boom
2nd reef turning block 2.jpg
Tenaciousgreen

Post by Tenaciousgreen »

Thanks Steve, I have no sheave at the end of the boom for outhaul. Did you fit your own?
Rich Tolley
Yacht Name: Spirit of Christy
Mandurah, WA.
Steve

Post by Steve »

It was like that when I bought the boat. It would be very easy to fit one, or get one fitted. The outhaul tensioner runs a series of blocks for a reduction, they are located inside the boom.

There are two cheek blocks on the boom alternate sides for the 1st and second reef. I usually only use the second reef. I did have a single line reefing system on the boat but I don't use it because it never sets right.
Attachments
reef blocks.jpg
reef blocks.jpg (75.27 KiB) Viewed 6076 times
atles

Post by atles »

Steve This is a joke,,, right? :roll:

oh sorry this would be trolling right or for us old timers. don't be so condescending :P
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane
Steve

Post by Steve »

atles wrote:Steve This is a joke,,, right? :roll:

oh sorry this would be trolling right or for us old timers. don't be so condescending :P

I wouldn't hesitate to call it a joke too if i had put these posts up with an array of spelling mistakes, poor grammar etc etc, and then followed by a video that specifically enhances my minimum amount of knowledge on the subject of sailing.
I for one are very poor at English, I can only type with one finger and have trouble reading but the one thing I do Is try to make sure, is that if I write something that I want other people to read, I do my very best to make it understandable.( I know I'm not perfect at it)

(deleted: 3/4/21.inflamatory language. Ozzie. Moderator)
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Guys, this is a genteel forum, and we want to keep it that way. We accept everyone, and one man's storm is another man's millpond, so no sniping please.
Also, we do not want to discourage anybody from posting about sailing, even if it is full of typos. Just as long as it is on topic. If someone posts something that you think is wrong, feel free to politely correct. Play the idea, not the man.

Note to the politically correct: Man=huMan and is gender neutral.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

+1 Ian

I've debated buying into this one, but for the benefit of newbies lurking I will. It's worth remembering that sailing is an activity that can be enjoyed on all levels. I've been at the Belmont 16s when the Sailability dinghys are under canvas. These little vessels are simple self tacking rigs with a joy stick control. Try telling these young disabled people they are not sailing and having a shipload of fun. More power to them.

When it gets down to it your can rig an Investigator with a main sheet, jib sheet and bugger all else, bungy tie the tiller and adjust the trim and it will sail itself. I do it regularly. To me, tweaking vangs, cunninghams and barber haulers to squeeze half a knot extra out of the boat is only something I do when I feel like it. And invariably half way through the exercise I ask myself what I'm worrying for ..am I in a hurry to get home?

I have a wonderful article in a U.S. Sail magazine Cruising World by Capt'n Fatty Goodlander ( look him up he's worth reading) who laments his occasional crewing on racing yachts. One, after hours of racing in hot tropical sun with no wind ...,"jellyfish were passing us " a nice breeze springs up for the last leg of the race. After crossing the finish line the skipper of his boat starts the donk!!!

"But why fire up now" asks Fatty.
"Race is over ?" Replies the skipper.

As Fatty humorously points out ...racers don't like sailing.

I have never been a fan of "expertise". I would rather know my limitations and yes 47years of boating helped but I'm still libel to screw up. . The most recent fatalities locally were experienced sailors.

I for one Atles enjoy your videos , posts and enthusiasm . A little of which I wish I could get back lately as I play off arthritis against a nice days sailing. But anyway keep posting .

Everybody keep posting . Just keep my first paragraph in mind.

Ozzie
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Peter
Pip #127