more centreboard anxiety

snoopebj

more centreboard anxiety

Post by snoopebj »

Anyone heard of this, a new one on me
A Careel friend always drops his c/board onto his trailer rollers when transporting.
The reasoning is to avoid straining the c/board ropes/pulleys while on the road.
Is this a valid worry or just another first world problem?
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Yara50

Re: more centreboard anxiety

Post by Yara50 »

The Careel, if you are lucky and have one of the later models, has a heavy centreboard and a rope pulley hoist. Even the early models have around 100kg. Our centreboards are a lot lighter, so there is no need. Plus if you do let the C/B down on the trailer you add the risk that you might forget to lift it up before launch, with consequent damage.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Aha yes that would explain their anxiety a c/b weighing 100kg would bounce around a lot on the highway.
And yes the risk of forgetting to cleat the c/b before launching would outweigh (scuse the pun) the benefits for us Investigators.
My pre-launch check list is long enough without adding another one to it.
Cheers Ian
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Steve

Post by Steve »

I drop mine down on the trailer, The very first time I went to launch I had forgotten about it and the boat moved back 6" and stopped. Winched it back and forth a few times before it dawned on me I had left the keel down. I leave it purposely down on the trailer now because it might help stop it coming off the trailer if the other attachment failed, a bit like a park brake.
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Not a bad idea. You could always hang the keel pull cable around the life line with big orange REMOVE tag in it like they do on aircraft. In fact as I get older I think a few big orange reminder tags will be needed.."put mast up" maybe :shock:
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)