trip to hervey bay

General Sailing Talk
atles

trip to hervey bay

Post by atles »

Hi all :D
i am going to take a trip to Hervey bay in 2 weeks time with the boat for the week end !!
never been there some local advice please
were to best sail in the bay
over night anchor or marina
the best boat ramps for leaving your car and trailer overnight
Last edited by atles on Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane
vfborg

Re: trip to hervey bay

Post by vfborg »

hi i live in Herveybay the best ramp for you to use would b at Urangan Habour turn left at the end of boat habour drive we have 2 4 car ramps there shame i will b in Nsw that weekend other wise would put mine in and show you the way and we do have the whales up here at the moment
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Hey vfborg, just curious, I've been to Fraser island three times over the years by 4WD and always drive over to the west side. Also to Hervey Bay by car once a few years back on the way home from Cooktown and the straights always look really inviting and peaceful . But I've heard you can get some absolute rip roarers through there and rather than the island being protective it funnels the wind and makes the conditions worse, particularly in the shallow waters. Is this the case and when does it happen . Mind you not really surprising. Lake Mac is mostly shallow and it can really get rough here with the right conditions.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
vfborg

Post by vfborg »

Hi Ozzie yes it can get rough i normally sail out front of herveybay and platypus bay and it can get rough in any northerly higher than 15 nots but in a southeaster its flat calm all the way up to the northern tip of fraser island and there is a lot of shallow water but if you stick to the markers you shouldn"t have any problems . most of the times its good sailing the worst time is around XMass thats when the northerly winds are at their worst.