Wanted recommendations on new outboard

Mark

Wanted recommendations on new outboard

Post by Mark »

Hello All

Been a while since on the board but check it everyday.

My issue: my 5hp Mercury outboard was stolen off my yacht overnight (in a secured facility, they cut the fence!). I need a new one and being weight of motor conscious seek recommendations. Would a smaller out say 2.5 -3.5hp be suitable? My main need for power is the occasional rough bar crossing otherwise just manoeuvring - also recommendations on brands. I really like Honda as we use them on our boats at Marine Rescue and are very good. My local chandlery suggested a 2.4 4-stroke honda should be enough for the I563.

Comments and suggestions please.

Thanks
Mark
Yara50

Re: Wanted recommendations on new outboard

Post by Yara50 »

Hi Mark. Good to see you are still on board- had seen an ad for a I563 for sale in Batemans Bay.
Crossing a bar- I would stay with 5hp. Also absolutely a long shaft with high thrust prop. Four stroke is lovely for the environment, but sailing on the open sea IMHO, it makes no difference. The weight of the 4 stroke starts to be a problem for lifting on and off, not to mention price.
Practical Boat Owner did a survey of o/bs recently, Ill see if I have still got the article. Once again-bar crossing-stick with a quality brand.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks Ian. Yes getting quote for replacement of same. I also spoke with one of my sailing friends who effectively said the same as you. I agree.
Never saw an I563 for sale down here, in-fact I have never seen one in the Bay only mine. Interesting. I sail Aminee on average once a week here so get great use ot of her in a great place for sailing.

Cheers

Mark
Mark

Post by Mark »

Re I563 for sale in BB: Its an old advert for mine which i bought almost 2 years ago now. Mystery solved.

Cheers

mark
kevwr400

Post by kevwr400 »

Hi Mark,
The other day heading to Paynesville, my 5hp 4 stroke outboard broke the wooden backing plate on motor mount so just be careful of the weight penalty of the 4 strokes and make sure mount is rated to carry the 25kg+
cruiserpete

Post by cruiserpete »

Hi all,
Hope I'm not hijacking this thread :oops:

I'm thinking of replacing my original Volvo Penta 90 (9hp) 1978 outboard although, the Volvo is performing well it's age is a major concern and factor.

TSP members have recommended 5 or 6 hp as being more than sufficient for I563's
can I ask for a few members to write up their recommendations when they have time:

BRAND
Hp
comment

I'm a bit of a Honda Fan (2x cars, 1x motorbike) and I'm thinking of a Honda 8hp - 4 stroke.

Cheers, Pete
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Pete, If you are keen on 4 stroke for environmental reasons, I would understand, however IMHO 8hp is too much, and a 5 hp 2 stroke is the right power, and about the weight that most of us can handle without breaking our back.

I had a 10 hp 4 stroke Honda on my Careel 18 (basically the same as the 8hp) and it was a real pain to handle, as well as far too much power.

The prop pitch and long shaft length are critical for performance.

In light winds and calm seas she will skip along nicely with 2hp. You need the extra power to punch through waves and wind.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Steve

Post by Steve »

Pete,
I have a 4 stroke 5 horse Honda on my 563. I hadn't used it much up until a few days ago , then it got a real work out. I have found that economy is outstanding, it runs sweet at about 1/2 - 3/4 throttle, but that's just my preference, that gives me about 4.2 knot's. If I give it heaps It goes faster but I can't stand the vibration and 4 stroke noise.(4 strokes with same cc as a 2 stroke have to rev higher for equivalent hp ).... I have a love for two strokes, mx and gp bike racing has been destroyed by 4 strokes :( , but for what I require "my" outboard to do, a "4 stroke, 5 horse Honda" does it well and it is, in my opinion, the best choice for my 563. That is because it rarely runs above an idle each time I go sailing and I'm not relying on performance . I have the sails up when it is windy.
Steve
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hi All

I guess I started this post so I'll update. I am in Jordan for 3 months so almost no sailing although I did get a one hour sail on a hire on the Red Sea which was a hoot given my size and that I have never sailed anything that small before....but I digress.

Before I left Australia I researched my replacement extensively and took advice on this site. I decided in the end to go with a replacement of the original with the same Mercury 5HP 2S that I had originally. Basically it came own to price performance and weight and my experience to to date over 18 months has been its a reliable model. So that my decision. I have it lined up to pre-order so it will be waiting for me at the end of May on my return, it cost $1500. It will be great to be back on the water and sailing in winter in Batemans bay can be heaven, back to the Wadi's..for now

Best Mark
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Hi all,

How would a 4 HP (2 stroke) outboard or similar go on an I563? In Qld boats of 4HP or less don't need to pay registration fees. The Investigator webpage specs sheet says 3 HP is enough to reach hull speed (in a dead flat calm?)

Currently i have an old 9.8 HP Johnson long shaft, it's heavy to lug around and heavy on the bracket, so have a 3:1 purchase to take some weight off and help lift it.

Cheers
Andrew
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria