Mainsheet traveller

Yara50

Mainsheet traveller

Post by Yara50 »

Traveller.JPG
This is not a perfect photo, but the standard traveller has a car which runs on the track across the transom. In this photo the pulley system ropes are not run correctly. the end should angle down to the clam cleat you can see below. Haul in tight in light winds, maybe even to windward, let out in higher winds.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
geoffr

Re: Mainsheet traveller

Post by geoffr »

Ian:
It's coincidental you should post this info, as I was at the helm of an S80 (keelboat) on the weekend contemplating the value of a full-on traveller across the cockpit.
As I adjusted it for various points of sail, I thought about the far simpler transom mounted track on my Investigator. It does not even have the cords shown in your photo; instead, the central car with block attached runs only between two smaller cars, which are clipped in to holes in the track to limit the travel of the central car. It's a crude system by comparison, but it works OK.
Clearly, the cord system you have would be better for making quicker and more dynamic adjustments to the sail's angle to wind, while using the main sheet to adjust the curve or shape of the sail.
Cheers,
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Hi again all:

As I wrote in my previous post, the traveller on my Investigator is probably as basic as you can get: a 19mm flat track with adjustable stoppers at either end, and a small car that travels inbetween (to which the main sheet is attached).

My quandary now is whether to make a fairly considerable investment in putting in a more sophisticated system (with reduction blocks and cleats), or whether this would be overkill.

I guess it gets down to performance and ease of use; would a better system deliver much more than what I've got and make the cost worth it?

I would welcome the thoughts of those of you with more sophisticated systems please.

Cheers,
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Mark

Post by Mark »

Re last post, this was the same reason I opened this discussion, also trying to make such a decision and wanted to see what others had done, thought. I'll be interested in further responses. Pics so far have been useful, thanks.

I have been checking out traveller parts and still insure of what i should really go with if I did make the changes.

Cheers
Mark
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Traveller with end stops and rope adjustment both work. Advantages of rope ajustment: You can use to ease or tighten main sheet while on the wind. No impact at the end of traveller movement. Disadvantage: probably a little more expensive. Rope does occassionally come loose from cleat.
Ian B
no way

Post by no way »

As always, better equipment which makes your job easier (pointing the boat) means you have more fun, more self satisfaction with your own ability and its safer
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Hi folks:

For your interest, here are some pics of a traveller I'm fitting across the cockpit area.

It will give me the benefit of being able to adjust the main's position right in front of me, rather than turning aft to use the transom traveller.

I picked up the traveller for $14 on eBay; it's about 800 mm long and fits perfectly: an absolute bargain.

The hardwood support I've made looks a little like a Victorian-era bridge, but it's certainly strong.

It's currently drying with its second coat of marine varnish, before I bolt it all in.

I'll post some more pics with lines attached once I've finished installation.

Cheers,
Attachments
Another view showing bolts into cockpit seating area, just forward of the locker top doors
Another view showing bolts into cockpit seating area, just forward of the locker top doors
photo 3.JPG (29.03 KiB) Viewed 4507 times
Close up of the travel;er car -- without lines attached yet
Close up of the travel;er car -- without lines attached yet
photo 2.JPG (28.1 KiB) Viewed 4507 times
General view showing traveller in situ
General view showing traveller in situ
photo 1.JPG (38.15 KiB) Viewed 4507 times
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Looks nice, and will no doubt improve the performance. Just one question- where do you sit, and how much distance between the end of the tiller and the traveller?
Ian B
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Ian:
This traveller replaces a fixed bar I had trialled in the same position for the last 12 months.
My tiller handle does not extend to the traveller; rather, there's enough space between it and the traveller for me to easily move around in front during a tack.
I have a tiller extension handle fitted as well, so I have deliberately made the tiller handle only long enough for the space available.
When at the helm I sit on either of the cockpit lids, and if I have crew aboard then they sit forward of the traveller and haul the jib over.
It all seems to work, but I plan to give it a sea trial over Christmas, and will report back.
Cheers,
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Hi all:

As promised, here are some pics of my new traveller in position, showing the ample working gap between it and the tiller handle.

So far, so good, but more testing required. I will probably run the adjustment line back to blocks on either end of the traveller, with one continuous line.

Cheers, Geoff
Attachments
Closer view of traveller and tiller handle
Closer view of traveller and tiller handle
QUMBU at St Helen's Marina for the Christmas/New Year sailing break
QUMBU at St Helen's Marina for the Christmas/New Year sailing break
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'