Trailer Damage

Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Re: Trailer Damage

Post by Andrew »

Hi Ron, That's an interesting solution to the keel support, would be more economical too. Do you still use the adjustable roller support frames below the timber or is it on solid mounts?

Sorry All, my previous post mentioned a blue roller for my trailer.. - i since found out from the guy at Bias Boating that Blue rollers are too hard for fiberglass and could cause hull damage, Blue is for aluminium hulls only. So took the blue roller back (to Rosshaven) and replaced it with a red one for fibreglass. Black is also acceptable for 'glass, it is a softer more flexible compound rubber, i heard that the red rollers were preferable to black.

Roller summary:
Blue -aluminium
Red - fibreglass
Black -wood? glass

I hope this info's correct

Cheers
Andrew
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
camanche73

Post by camanche73 »

Hi Andrew,
Bolted the beam to the cross members of the trailer. Keeps the height down. Having the timber beam also means there is no way of the centreboard getting caught as it is pushed off the trailer. Effectively i dont need to lift the centreboard at all. as when it winches onto the trailer the centreboard lifts, and the beam keeps it in the up position until it is completley off the trailer again.
Ron
Investigator #153
Hood 20
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Andrew:
I had a similar problem to you with a jammed centre black roller.
When I hauled the boat off a few months back, I discovered the dodgy roller had split lengthwise, due to the swelling within it of a very rusty metal spindle.
The spindle was jammed, so the roller did not roll - and this hampered getting the boat on and off the trailer.
However, it was easily fixed. Using an angle grinder, I soon cut both the dodgy black rubber roller and the rusted spindle in half, and turfed the lot.
Then I replaced it with a red roller and a new galvanised spindle, and reloaded the boat.
The next time I launched it, it shot off the trailer.
Unfortunately, the rusted spindle and ruined rubber roller probably contributed to the hull damage I later noticed (see other posts on fixing that), as it allowed the hull to sit lower on the trailer than it should have, which in turn meant that the side rollers were exerting more force on the hull than they should have (probably pushing upwards an extra 30mm), just enough over time to indent the hull.
Anyway, I'm fixing that too.
Eventually, as they wear out, I will probably replace all the black rubber rollers, as they tend to mark the white hull as they age.
Good luck with your repairs,
Geoff
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

I've got my trailer out and am starting to work on it. The rear roller cluster came off ok with a cutting wheels on angle grinders, have welded the bases for the new roller assembly on. Straightened out a bent roller frame too.

I'm going beyond trailer damage and into trailer modification now,, thinking of making the bilge support posts on the sides height adjustable so the rollers and these can be fine tuned to carry hull weight correctly. Does anyone have theirs set up like this or seen another trailer with this?
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria