Transducer - through hull or transom mount ?

cruiserpete

Transducer - through hull or transom mount ?

Post by cruiserpete »

Hi all,
Continuing on from neilmac's previous transducer post I find myself in a strange transducer quandary?

I have a 2nd hand but working Navman sounder, speed log that I want to reuse for my refurbishment however, the transom mount transducer cable was cut to allow removal (not by me but the previous owner).

I've since tested it and it seems to works but I ordered a new transom mount transducer & cable simply because I'm replacing everything for new on the I563....so I might as well replace the cut LT8 transom cable and transom transducer.

Unfortunately, the transducer I was sent was a through Hull one and NOT the transom mount I ordered.... thus:

Should I keep the through hull transducer and go with it although, I do not want to drill into the hull (more fear of stuffing up things than anything else) but the forum indicates a good place to mount the transducer and I imagine a through hull transducer will be more accurate NOTE: also another benefit of being able to place the transducer forward rather than transom mounted would be as Yara50 indicates
I mounted the fish-finder transducer right forward at the start of the keel. It angles forward ever so slightly, and gives you a little warning of what is coming. Also, being in the keel, the actual depth is not that much different to the measured depth.
or
Should I send it back and go with a transom mount.
Note: I would like to use the speed log/paddle wheel so mounting above the hull in a box or bathed in silicon/epoxy is not an option.
Cheers, Pete
Yara50

Re: Transducer - through hull or transom mount ?

Post by Yara50 »

Most transducers will work mounted inside the hull. Search on TSP and other sites and you will get the info on how to do it by bedding in silicone or epoxy. I went the silicone route with good results. Yara used to have the paddle wheel type log, but previous owner removed and sealed up the hull. These days a GPS gives you a good speed indication without having holes in the hull.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara