Anti Foul Paint

Dr. Peter

Anti Foul Paint

Post by Dr. Peter »

I am about to lift the boat up again to see if I can't persuade the centreplate to move. I was thinking that this would be a good moment to reapply the anti foul which looks somewhat tired. Any recommendations regarding brands or application process would be welcome.
Peter
Pip #127
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Anti Foul Paint

Post by Ozzie »

Peter , I have used International hard antifoo for years. It takes the knocks of trailering mid season if I want to bring the boat off the mooring for work. This haulout which is now done I added cayan pepper to the last of the mix and painted the front half of the boat and the centerboard with a final coat of the mixture to see if it made a difference , recommended on TSP . Will know next year .
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
no way

Post by no way »

On the recommendation of International "Tech services" I use International Long Life or whatever they call it now
I get 2 years out of it in predominantly fresh water.
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Considering putting the boat on a mooring, but hit two snags. The outboard is too heavy to lift on and off the bracket when on the water, and I am not keen to leave it permanantly fixed in place, both from a weathering POV and theft.

The other item is the rudder, which is varnished wood, and would also deteriorate rapidly. What do you guys do for these two items?
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
no way

Post by no way »

Outboard was/is a Mariner 6hp which is heavy (56lb from memory) but a great motor and I leave it attached but padlock the 2 clamp handles together. I also currently have a 6hp Evinrude which is a heap lighter but very thirsty and I leave it attached also. I might add that I'm in a relatively safe harbour. I have always had the powerhead covered with a custom cover (comes half way down the leg). I have a cover over my rudder blade which is swing-up and cover for my tiller which is varnished. There are pics on one of the threads
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Six plus hours of sanding. Phew!

The old antifoul is ready for new.

Port side - brush painted antifoul and a pain to sand. So uneven.

Starboard side was roller painted - a dream to sand by comparison. It was like mowing a lawn.

Tip to self - don't use a brush for the new application.
Peter
Pip #127
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Come to think of it I think hard anti foul is now called long life.

Ian I lift my rudder off and place it in the cabin on the floor . I have the standard glass rudder but am thinking of replacing it with the swing up timber one I got with the boat. I don't like it because it is heavy and I think adds additional weight to the back of the boat but may experiment with leaving it on swung up with a cover.

I take my 5 hp merc home every trip . After a few slips and strains I found the best way to transfer it from the tender was to tie the tender with a short line from the taffrail so when you lift the OB off the tender the line goes tight and pulls the tender close to the TS and they move as one unit . Almost as stable as lifting it off the ground. I keep a safety line on the merc just for good measure.

I also furl the main and remove the boom and put that inside as well. Takes less time than putting on a boom cover I think.

An alternative to taking the motor home is lock it in the cabin. I cut the ruty tops off the lift handle on the lead ballast in the rear keel . You can get at this easily when you remove the step. I then welded on to the steel stub an old seat belt mount with the webbing cut away. A small one on the back stub on which I can clip a bilge pump and a large one on the front that I can padlock a chain to. This chain I have then placed through the OB handle on occasions when I have left the OB on the boat rather than taking it home . I had a pic but can't find it . Will take another next week.

I did think about another alternative for locking the OB on the boat . That was making a cradle in the cockpit locker with thick timber like 250 x 50 treated pine that is cut to exactly the right width to jam in the locker. Then you cut out grooves to take the shaft and then have a swing down metal clamps with the holding bolts going thought the timber into holes cut to access the nuts which are welded so they cant be undone. Once in the cradle and the clamps padlocked on the whole thing is too bulky to be taken out without sawing the boat apart with a chainsaw. The idea was in my head but I did not even get as far as measuring the OB to see if it would fit in :|

It is relatively easy to put the OB on the bracket from the cockpit...relatively.

I did actually experiment with a crane made from a large L bracket which I uclamped onto the upright part of the taffrail. But as it was fixed it relied on lifting the OB off the mount in the low position , lifting the mount then positioning the tender to take the OB as you dropped it down on a pulley . I even drilled into the thick trim plate on the ancient mariner air cooled I used back then and added permanent lift hooks . What it needed was a pivot so you could swing the OB from one thing to the other . I did not go much further with it as the bracket was only a prototype cobbled together from junk , but it would work with some modification and perseverance . I may have another go to cobble up a pivoting one as an experiment and then if I can make it work get it remade in SS.

Just a note I painted my hull with 2Pack epoxy bellow the water line before I anti fouled it
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Anti-foul applied - boat back home on trailer. It looks pretty good too IMHO. I have a couple of little spots to see to and it will be done. These are the places where it rested on the stands and two little spots where the front lifting straps were.

BTW the two coats were applied mainly by roller (230mm) and a 63mm brush for the corners and edge (I did not use tape - Dad was a painter and decorator and taught me well. I had a short adjustable extension handle for the roller which was well worth the money. Painting time was about 2+ hours for the first coat and a little less for the second coat.

In the end I took what was left after a friend had anti-fouled his boat. He is going to offer me a good price for it. It was an International product and I think it was a bit under 4L in the can. I completed my job with about a fifth of a can left. I did use thinners when I was rolling the paint on, but I applied it neat for the brushwork.

My centre-plate now drops although it does need a 'sonic' persuader. A couple or three sharp taps with a light hammer gets it going - I'm not sure what that's about.

I'm noticing some posts don't have much to do with with the thread topic.
Peter
Pip #127
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Dr. Peter wrote:
I'm noticing some posts don't have much to do with with the thread topic.
True, but think of it this way ...... how often to you go into Whitworths to buy a stainless shackle and come out with two cockpit cushions, a pealess whistle and a plastic hawk. :lol:
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)