Offshore Modifications - 'Current Affair' bilge/electrics

snoopebj

Offshore Modifications - 'Current Affair' bilge/electrics

Post by snoopebj »

Bilge Pumps
I installed two bilge pumps one each side of the centre casing (rear) actuated by a float switch in front of the stbd bilge pump. These are armed by a lighted switch beneath the battery isolator switches on the forward bunk bulkhead next to the porta potti (all these can be seen from the cockpit). The pumps can also be switched on from the panel. There is also a manual bilge pump on the inside of the stbd locker with a large diameter hose running down into the keel and bilge. The outlet for this is a free hose thrown over the transom when the handle is installed.
I made the cabin floor removable with two bolts either side going into nuts and washers glassed in under the floor. This was for inspecting the pumps and allowing extra storage either side of the casing.
Attachments
isolatorbilge switches .JPG
manualpump.JPG
bilge pumps.JPG
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Dr. Peter

Re: Offshore Modifications - 'Current Affair' bilge/electrics

Post by Dr. Peter »

Its been awhile since you posted on this topic but I was wondering how your electric bilge pumps performed in the end? I also would like to know a little more about the manual setup you mentioned.
Peter
Pip #127
snoopebj

Re: Offshore Modifications - 'Current Affair' bilge/electrics

Post by snoopebj »

Hi Peter
Sorry for not replying sooner - literally up to my neck in home renovation.
I've had no problems with the twin electric bilge pumps setup other than any water that does come in gathers firstly in the stbd side bilge channel of the centreboard housing. Luckily I put the float switch in the bottom of this stbd channel so any water in the bilge is automatically pumped out when I arm the float switch (every time I put the boat in the water). I can also override this on a bilge switch on my main panel.
The manual bilge pump is the standard bilge pump (Whitworths cat 67553) with the removable handle. As in the photo it fits on the inside of my stbd cockpit locker near the stern. The large diam inlet hose leads up from the port bilge channel up under the cockpit floor along the centre channel then up the transom and over the gap in the top of the stbd locker into the manual pump inlet. (B.T.W. these locker gaps have been glassed in since for safety reasons)
The manual pump outlet is just a length of narrower diam hose that I throw over the stern when using or coil around the pump when stored. The detachable handle is stored horizontally between the pump diaphragm and body.
As in most of these projects I hardly ever use them they just give me more peace of mind as I mainly sail offshore here in Wollongong. Hope this is of help Peter.
Cheers
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'