Advice on painting rudder

Mark

Advice on painting rudder

Post by Mark »

Hi Al
Seeking advice on best paint to redo my rudder.
I had previously coated existing paint with epoxy but over last year this has failed. I need to bring it back to good condition and wonder what I need. The rudder is wood.
Advice appreciated thanks
Mark
no way

Re: Advice on painting rudder

Post by no way »

There are probably a couple of "best" paints to do the job. I would suggest that although the epoxy is a good coating it's breakdown has more to do with what's under it. Preparation and compatibility are paramount especially as the rudder is exposed to harsh conditions. The compatibility problem can be fixed by removing all of the previous coatings and start again with a complete system (primers, undercoats etc). Remember that if your rudder is timber and has not been fiberglass sheathed you are dealing with a material that is very susceptible to movement in moist conditions and the coating can fail very quickly and easily if you don't use the correct product and system. "Dryness" and "grease free" can't be overstated. If the rudder is sheathed then remove all the existing coatings and use a single or two part (not really necessary, and messy) polyurethane system.
Epoxy is probably better but again its very messy and in more need of very careful use.
I have found International and Norglass have good tech services helplines.
Mark

Re: Advice on painting rudder

Post by Mark »

Thanks No Way, yes it is FG sheathed. You advice very useful.
Best