Abel Tasman-No backstay, Separate Roller Furler, Highfield

Stories and pics of Investigators on the water - and getting there.
Yara50

Abel Tasman-No backstay, Separate Roller Furler, Highfield

Post by Yara50 »

Thought I would provide some info on rigging an Investigator 563 without backstay. Not my recommendation, but it is possible.
Shroud Attachment point for no backstay.
Shroud Attachment point for no backstay.
Separate furler rig:
Here the furled jib has a wire luff and does not wrap around the forestay. Hence if it gets in a mess it can be dropped to the deck!
P1200109 (Small).JPG
Tensioning the luff is done at the mast. The top swivel is on the halliard. see next photo) Neat sister clip attachment.

Highfield lever.
P1200098 (Small).JPG
This is used to tension the jib luff. Overcentre action can apply strong force. Can then make the forestay slack, but that is not a problem. You do not find them much nowadays, probably due to the danger- flipped accidentally and not in control, and it can whack you rather hard.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Yara50

Re: Abel Tasman-No backstay, Separate Roller Furler, Highfield

Post by Yara50 »

Shot of the boat in the water. You can just see the jib halliard and forestay separation.
P1200123 (Small).JPG
The halliard is about 100mm lower on the mast, with its own saddle hound.
Ian B
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Some Pics, courtesy Cruiser Pete, of the system fitted to a lot of boats, that I call for convenience, the "Careel"system. The sail furls around the forestay.
Tha standard "Careel"system
Tha standard "Careel"system
Lower part (Without pulley system attached)
Standard furler2.jpg
Standard furler.jpg
Upper Mast Connection
furlingjibforestaywithnotes1_zps713e6d11.jpg
Those of us who have been caught in a blow with this system, with the jib a vibrating flapping mess, shaking the rigging, and no way of lowering it at sea when you are short-handed, are not fond of the concept. Others have had happy associations. You pays your money and makes your choice ......
Ian B
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

On Yara, we have a hanked-on jib, The forestay is separate. For this system there is no need to add an additional saddle.

If I was going to re-instate a jib furler, the ideal would be to bolt a new hound fitting for the furler halliard, using the location of the diamond stay. Would need a longer bolt, but would be pretty easy. The swivel would go on the end of the jib halliard.
The set-up on Yara- Jib with downhaul.
The set-up on Yara- Jib with downhaul.
Hound fitting
Hard to get, but still available.
Hard to get, but still available.
RF604 Hound fitting.jpg (9.17 KiB) Viewed 8102 times
Ian B
cruiserpete

Post by cruiserpete »

Yara50 wrote:On Yara, we have a hanked-on jib, The forestay is separate. For this system there is no need to add an additional saddle.

If I was going to re-instate a jib furler, the ideal would be to bolt a new hound fitting for the furler halliard, using the location of the diamond stay. Would need a longer bolt, but would be pretty easy. The swivel would go on the end of the jib halliard.
IMAG0427 (Medium).jpg
Hound fitting
RF604 Hound fitting.jpg
Thanks for the extra clarification..... My MAST set up looks fairly similar to Yara's so am I right in thinking that I can convert my current system to the same as Yara's whereby the forestay is separate to the halyard.

On my photo it looks like I need to add a longer D shackle (as seen in Yara's photo) to move the halyard swivel & block away from the hounds eyelet so I can then attach the forestay to the hounds eyelet via a smaller d shackle.

Would this be the correct thinking ?
Cheers, Peter
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Pete,
You could copy the Yara set-up, which was originally the same as yours, however if you want to use the furler, I would add the new hound fitting as described in my previous post. One of the reasons for my change was I did not like the forestay being in series with a swivel.
Ian B
cruiserpete

Post by cruiserpete »

Yara50 wrote:Pete,
You could copy the Yara set-up, which was originally the same as yours, however if you want to use the furler, I would add the new hound fitting as described in my previous post. One of the reasons for my change was I did not like the forestay being in series with a swivel.

Hi Ian,

Thanks..
I think I'll add a new hound to move the forestay away from being wrapped around the furler. I'll be sailing 99% of my time single handed and I would like to know that I can hoist a new jib if the current furler system stuffs up.

I was toying with the idea of no furler and to simply hank on sails however, I think the furler will suit my needs still...I would just feel better if I had a backup system.

It looks like the new forestay runs above the furler system so the new hound will need to be positioned above the furler on the mast.. what are yours or the thoughts of others on this.

Cheers, Pete