Our first time out

General Sailing Talk
Steve

Our first time out

Post by Steve »

Had a great day out on Saturday on the Investigator. My wife and I traveled 250 kms to port Geographe ,launched into a light choppy s/w. Feeling a little overwhelmed at first we sailed on a storm jib and then added reefed main, then full jib and main. We practiced anchoring, heaving (not spewing)and also retrieving a lifejacket overboard and when the breeze dropped right off towards the end of the day, I felt confident to fly the spinnaker all the way back to the mariner. I love the boat, it was just like an old Mare with a novice rider,so relaxing and we just love those sailing sounds. Cant wait to go out again, although, I was just a tad late in applying the sun screen and a little saddle sore from the seat .(least of my Problems)

Steve
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Our first time out

Post by Ozzie »

Hi Steve have not been on the forum for a while but nice to hear you enjoyed your first run on your Iinvestigator. Great thing about sailing you have 7 adjustments on the main you really only need to worry about 1 till you get the hang of it or 2 if you include reefing down. Even after 7 years I rarely if ever use the Cunningham and dont bother with the vang if just out for a relaxing afternoon in light wind.

Takes me back . My first sail on Spritzig II I put up just the main in light wind after 10 mins I could not wait to get the genoa up and start moving.

Enjoy
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)