pull down for headsail

General Sailing Talk
Mark

pull down for headsail

Post by Mark »

Hi all
As the summer winds abate in Batemans bay and are replaced by milder autumn breezes I have been removing reefs and getting out my larger headsails. One of them furls (sort of) and the other attaches to the forestay. Both sails appear original from markings.

Today I set this forstay one up and added a pulley system to assist pull down - I think I saw the setup here on the site - then we went out in 7 knt breezes to test it It worked fine after some modifications. i.e. the top of the pull down halyard can been attached to the top clew it as it jams up the system, rather we attached to the top clip of the sail which attaches to forestay, then it worked.

I was wondering if anyone else has such a setup and any photos of the rig, I need to make some adjustments for it to work perfectly but basically I am trying to make it possible to do everything from the cockpit which I almost achieved today, any comments or contributions on this welcome.

Cheers

Mark
Dr. Peter

Re: pull down for headsail

Post by Dr. Peter »

From what I have seen on other boats you are right to go to the penultimate clip and not the very top. The pull should be back to the bow.
Peter
Pip #127
Yara50

Re: pull down for headsail

Post by Yara50 »

Like Peter says, the downhaul should go between the top and the next down hank. Yara's has a small shackle which I place around the forestay, and it slides on that. Guess you could also clip onto the sail hank.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara