Shafted

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Shafted

Post by Ozzie »

I have been looking for a new outboard for Spritzig II as my wife no longer has confidence in the Ancient Mariner. Interesting thing is I have been looking at a few and thinking they are all short shaft even though the owners thought they were LOOOONG Today I just started googling long shaft and came up with this site

http://www.smalloutboards.com/shaft.htm

I am now feeling I have been laboring under an illusion..... the ancient mariner has a length from the transom hook to the cavitation plate of 23 inches my other mariner I use on my tinnie has a dimension of 17 inches. WTF ...is my ancient mariner an extra long shaft?????

Mariner list their shaft lengths as 15/20 I thought this meant from the bottom of the pivot tube to the prop centreline that works out as 15/20 for my two motors my friend has a 5 year old merc and it is 16 " from pivot tube bottom to prop centreline 18 from hook to cavitation plate.

Who has a definite long shaft 5 hp and what are the dimensions?

I realise that the swing bracket has a lot to do with it but if my other mariner is a long shaft maybe I can use it. I am confused but it would not be the first time :? :? :?
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Yara50

Re: Shafted

Post by Yara50 »

If you could get an extra long shaft it would be an advantage. I push my bracket right to the bottom, and the prop still sometimes comes out of the water in steep chop/ big boat wakes.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

My old Yammy 6hp short shaft (quiet and light) cavitates when anyone moves forward - that's on the lowest setting on my "Pacemaker" transom mounting.
So next week buying the Yamaha long shaft 8hp with the thruster prop.
the specs of both motors are -
Yam 6CMHS (short shaft) : 436 mm (17.2 in)
Yam 8CMHL(long shaft) : 563 mm (22.2 in)
As per Ozzies website measurments these are measured from the top of the outboard mount to the cav plate which is level with the bottom of the transom on my 17" short shaft motor
the long shaft should give me and extra 5" in the water.
cheers all
Emrys
Last edited by snoopebj on Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Ian
If your mariner is long shaft what is the distance in inches from the transom hook to the bottom of the cavitation plate. Any other bands ? info welcome.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

I am on the Gold Coast today but will measure the motor on the weekend. The other critical dimension is how low the bracket will go, but the long shaft will give you the greatest range of acceptable water levels, which is most important.
Ian B
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Mariner 5HP long shaft 23 inches (~58.4 cm) from underside of transom hook to top of cavitation plate.
Ian B
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Yara50 wrote:Mariner 5HP long shaft 23 inches (~58.4 cm) from underside of transom hook to top of cavitation plate.
Old post, I know, but anyway;

As I understand it, the 15" or 20" (or 25" extra long shaft) is measured from the top face of the transom (eg: "underside of the transom hook") to the cavitation plate above the prop, which should be underwater to ensure the prop and water intake are underwater. This would explain the extra 3" you are seeing here.

Graham
Potential convert to Investigating.
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

I need to replace the drive shaft on my 5hp long shaft Mariner.Having problems finding one new or 2nd hand here in Perth. Can anyone advise me as to where I might get hold of one.
Roscoe
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Roscoe wrote:I need to replace the drive shaft on my 5hp long shaft Mariner.Having problems finding one new or 2nd hand here in Perth. Can anyone advise me as to where I might get hold of one.
Roscoe
Have you looked for Mercury and Tohatsu equivalents? They're all the same motor in different colour schemes.
Potential convert to Investigating.
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Thanks Zebedee,
I will make some phone calls and see how things turn out. Thanks again