Broken Vang Bracket

General Sailing Talk
Yara50

Re: Broken Vang Bracket

Post by Yara50 »

I have replaced the original keel baseplate, but IMHO the original is not very strong, and that is why so many are broken. It is worth checking the rest of the baseplate, as they do crack, and I would recommend getting a replacement ASAP from Bob Keeley if you have the slightest doubt, as he is already long past retirement age.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks everyone for the very useful feedback comments and the photo. Tardy in my responses as I have been in NZ for last few days. Ian that photo you posted helps enormously and confirms what I had also been considering as an option but unsure if it would work. I was convinced that I would be installing this mound tomorrow until I saw the comments re replacing the base plate, I had no idea such a plate was available, so if someone could please post contact details for the gentleman who used to make them that would be appreciated, and email address would even be better.

Thanks again

Cheers

Mark
Rod

Post by Rod »

boom vang saddle.jpg
I replaced 2 of the existing mast foot stainless steel counter sink screws with rounded head screws and fitted a marine grade saddle. The spacing for the saddle holes was perfect. IMHO you can not get a stronger anchor point for the boom vang.

Regards
Rod
LarryW

Post by LarryW »

Hi Mark,
Here is the info on Bob Keeley. It was from an earlier post, provided by Ian and Gunter.

Keeley marine
Bob Keeley
2/ 6 Horscroft Pl Moorabin. Ph 03 9555 4622
Tell him it is a K06 mast section.
Last time I heard they were $126 for base and mast plug, complete with pivot pin.

I bought one a few years back. What a nice guy. Shipped me the base and enclosed the bill. It made sure to send the money the same day. I appreciated him getting it to me so quickly.

Here is the link to the original post.
http://investigator563.com/forum/viewto ... lit=keeley

Larry
Mark

Post by Mark »

I called Bob Keeley today and chatted and ordered replacement mast base plate and insert. Not sure of final cost probably around $300. In the interim after also chatting with my local chandlery this morning and as a result of thier advice I mounted another connector to the mast for the vang. This plate is attached with screws (not self tapping) and I actually was recommended to tap the holes for them which I did. The back of the plate and screws were covered in lanolin to prevent electrolysis with the aluminium. Its very solid and should do the trick. When I get the new mast bits I might just inventory them util such time I am ready to replace the old ones, but at least I'll have them in stock. btw Bob seems to be actively working still as he told me he was preparing to send off 9 masts to WA, not bad for an 85yr old.

Thanks to everyone for all the contacts and advice its been very useful and good demo of the power of this site and the community it supports.

Cheers

Mark