New Investigtor Owner, Batemans Bay NSW

General Sailing Talk
Mark

Re: New Investigtor Owner, Batemans Bay NSW

Post by Mark »

Peter
i have just finished totally rewiring the boat and also replace all Nav lights with LEDs. I'll take some photos and post to show the set up. All working well. Also got a new solar panel which trickle charges battery with need for regulator. works a treat. More to come later today.

Cheers
Mark
Cooper

Post by Cooper »

Looking forwards to some more pics. Looks like a good boat in the first pic, from what i could see, any chance of larger pics please? ;)
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hi am posting some photos of my electrics set up in Aminee.

My battery is located in the starboard locker inside of a tupperware container.

I also clip a 10W solar panel on to it when I am not sailing to keep the battery charged.

From here the main feed enters the cabin through a hole on the locker wall entering the cabin at the end of the SB bunk. I have added conduit as you see to keep it tidy and prevent wires from being pulled apart.

Another conduit leads to the transom nav light. Al the cables run through the bilge area to the front bow compartment where they terminate on special terminals. From here they travel to the fuse and switch box located on the port side near the portaloo. there is also a switch there for the bilge pump. So everything on the boat is fused and switchable. Will continue in next post 9 max 3 photos per post), BTW this photo posting system is terrible , so out of date.. ho hum
Mark

Post by Mark »

Continued..

I have added a 27Mhz radio in main cabin and an LED Cabin light. This light was only $19 from Whitworths and is very bright.
I have replaced the transom and port and starB nav lights with LEDs. Again very cheap about $60 in all.

continued next post
Mark

Post by Mark »

cont'd...

All wiring that I have replaced has used marine grade cable and where possible used cable ties to hold in tidy.
All the previous wire used was not of this grade and was rotten. I found this out when I connected the solar charger directly to the system and it blew an old wire I didn't realise was still in use. Subsequently I have stripped out all old wiring so not to confuse matters in the future.

Thats it i'l post some other pics tomorrow of the changes I have made to rigging etc

Cheers

Mark
LarryW

Post by LarryW »

Mike,
Looks like electrical problems are something you won’t have to worry about. Nice job and look neat and tidy. Will be a dream if you have to work on it in the future. I’m saving the post. When I work on my electrics it will be my starting guide.

Larry
Mark

Post by Mark »

final photo of electrical system terminals in forward hatch. All lines from the battery run to these terminals ie crude distribution point. Everything from the switch box i posted previously runs through here also. Its dry up there and hence my reason for putting the placement in this position.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Mark wrote:final photo of electrical system terminals in forward hatch. All lines from the battery run to these terminals ie crude distribution point. Everything from the switch box i posted previously runs through here also. Its dry up there and hence my reason for putting the placement in this position.
I hope there is some sort of cover over those terminals so that nothing accidentally shorts across them!
Potential convert to Investigating.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I located them in the driest place in the boat that is never accessed other than for maintenance purposes, as I said previously, they are located in the forward V Berth hatch, a tricky place to access under normal conditions, I also noticed that moisture had never penetrated there, as such I made the decision not to cover those terminals. If something happened and there was a short across them, then as a line of defence all lines leading in and out are fused separately.

Cheers
Mark
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Mark wrote:I located them in the driest place in the boat that is never accessed other than for maintenance purposes, as I said previously, they are located in the forward V Berth hatch, a tricky place to access under normal conditions, I also noticed that moisture had never penetrated there, as such I made the decision not to cover those terminals. If something happened and there was a short across them, then as a line of defence all lines leading in and out are fused separately.

Cheers
Mark
I had in mind solid metallic objects.

Many years ago we had a Mini with the battery in the boot. It had a biodegradeable cardboard cover over the top of the battery that had long since gone. When we first got it, every now and then everything (motor, lights, radio) would cut out briefly on left hand corners when the jack handle landed across the battery terminals.

Thankfully we figured out what was going on before we set fire to it!
Potential convert to Investigating.