Transom mounting for outboard

General Sailing Talk
Mark

Transom mounting for outboard

Post by Mark »

The transom outboard mounting plate on Aminee is made from wood and badly decayed and needs replacement. Its angled so as to provide a vertical position for the outboard mounting arm and the motor when attached. I am unsure if I need to get an angled replacement made and wonder if I can mount the arm directly to the transom with a flat mounting plate in between to provide extra strength. I would be interested in what others have in place and opinions on how I should best proceed. I attach photos to explain the situation better

Thanks
Mark
Yara50

Re: Transom mounting for outboard

Post by Yara50 »

You have the original design. Can be restored but lacks counterweight. After I cracked my sternum on the pushpit trying to catch a falling motor, I replaced with a modern Italian made spring loaded type. However beware the cheap Chinese copies.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Mark

Post by Mark »

Ian could you be more specific in terms of details etc for a replacement. I was only going to replace the backing plate but if you think there are more modern items then happy to hear about it. I dont understand you comment about 'lacking counter weight'

Thanks

Mark
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

The springs take the weight of the outboard, so it is easier to lift up or down. See Whitworths https://www.whitworths.com.au/ecatalogu ... lg/070.asp Item 55269. Maybe instead of counterweight I should have been more correct and said "counterweight spring".
If you are a strong lad then maybe just restore what you have.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
no way

Post by no way »

Used that particular bracket when I replaced my old one. Have an older(heavy) Mariner 6hp LS and reckon that that bracket twists way too much with the engine torque. Ended up deciding on the correct position and fabricating s/s bracing thereby locking the whole thing? Am open to comments on that.
Must also add that whilst beautifully manufactured in anodised aluminium and s/s springs the pivot bolts (3/8"), nuts and washers are mild steel and rust - decided there could be too much pressure on the springs to safely change but will have to do it some day
Mark

Post by Mark »

After due consideration and the comments provided here I decided to stick with my old outboard arm and replace the mounting board on the transom with timber, found a local carpenter workshop who created a replica - total cost of job $10.00. Used hardwood, a coat of oil and bingo should be good for another 30 years.