Ebay sale in Victoria

Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Ebay sale in Victoria

Post by Raya »

This Investigator would make a good prospect for someone prepared to do a little work.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Investigato ... :rk:1:pf:0
Attachments
Araluen.jpg
Ray
Investigator #39
Raya

Re: Ebay sale in Victoria

Post by Raya »

I asked the owner of the Investigator if he knew the sail number. He replied (sail no 70) and also sent me the following text to share with the forum members. It makes an interesting read.

Thank you Ray

I know a lot of people love these boats, and for good reason.
This may interest other Investigator 563 owners

That example of my investigator in rough seas is fair dinkem. I set out to sail from Port fairy to Warrnambool and had someone take the trailer there. I left the sheltered harbour at Port Fairy not too worried about the wind speed ( seemed like about 20 Knots in the harbour) as it was coming from the west and I was going east. Soon after coming out the entrance I noticed half the port fairy fleet seemed to be having a lot of trouble in their race that day and they were mainly only in the bay. It had been blowing from the west for some days which builds up a big swell. Probably 3 or 4 metres, quite normal for around here. Anyway, as I was sailing through the outer fleet boats, the wind picked up dramaticly.It became obvious there was no way I could go back to the harbour even if I wanted to. I turned and luffed the sails at every big gust. The dinky furler on the head sail would not stay furled and was a large genoa so a decided to get my young son who was the only other on board to keep it headed into the wind and I removed the headsail thinking I need to put a small jib up. By this time we were out of the bay and in the swell. My son headed into the wind again and I put the last reef in on the main. We were being pounded by heavy waves and wind gusts and another trip out to the bow to put a small headsail up became out of the question as I needed to steer the boat and not leave it in the hands of an 11 year old. As we progressed toward Warrnambool the swell and waves increased. The swell doesn't usually change that quickly but it must have built up with the storm front coming all the way from WA. Anyway whether it was swell or waves or a combination, it built up to rolling substantial looking waves.

During this, what was supposed to be a pleasant downwind sail, the waves built up more and the smallish white caps on top got bigger. I became a bit more nervous. I had already tied a rope around my son earlier and on to the boat. We obviously both had life jackets on as well but anyway I tied myself on as well. About half way to Warrnambool I started to estimate the size of these waves, I think conservatively, at 30ft and the top 5 ft started breaking in the back of the boat. I didnt even know before this that breaking in the back was possible. Anyone else there experienced this in an investigator. Anyway with the surfing and having only a reefed main instead of a more sensible small headsail only, I'm not sure if this happened while turning slowly of the surf or when the boat was first picked up. Maybe both. I was very familier with Warrnambool entrance but full curling breakers to my right seemed a bit close.

I found out later from a fisherman that in these conditions lining up the two light houses is a bit off now due to extra sand. You need to go more east.

Anyway I was pleased to get around behind the breakwater. The motor on the back would'nt start of course with all that surf over it. In the shadow of the breakwater, the wind was fine for a sail in with a reefed main. pulling up at the jetty I was met by emergency services or police. I'm not sure now. I was a bit rattled to see them there. They had been notified by the Port fairy fleet yachts that I had gone through the fleet in trouble. I guess all that luffing in 50 knot gusts looked bad. Apparently some of the fleet had a lot of trouble that day too. Anyway unfortunately I was a bit untalkative to the authorities although I think I thanked them I think for their concern, and kind of said I was OK and it was all planned. My wife then came backing the trailer down the ramp while they were there looking like it was normal.

I personally would take an Investigator 563 around the world.
Ray
Investigator #39
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Thanks for posting that Ray , a truly scary episode but thumbs up for the Investigator. As always I wonder how the hatches stood up . I wonder if water entered the interior and how the cockpit drains performed under dumping waves. No mention so I guess they were not issues.

I’ve only had to deal with really heavy weather twice as a boater. Both times on Lake Mac and one each on my old cruiser under motor and one on Spritzig II . The sea conditions while scary are not what I worry about, it’s gear/motor failure .Gear fail of any sort is a pain but trying to rectify whatever on a pitching deck is no fun.

Anyone else have heavy weather stories.

Great addition to the Investigator archive.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Raya

Post by Raya »

This Investigator sold for $1925. Definately a bargain for some one. Hopefully the new owner of Aralun will share her further adventures with us.
Ray
Investigator #39