Sail in Batemans Bay 21.11.14

Stories and pics of Investigators on the water - and getting there.
Mark

Sail in Batemans Bay 21.11.14

Post by Mark »

A few sequences shot on my sail yesterday using the GoPro. Was surprised that at days end I had completed 16 nm.

http://youtu.be/rWE-eF13G1A
Yara50

Re: Sail in Batemans Bay 21.11.14

Post by Yara50 »

Nice one Mark. If you can it would be nice to have some commentry like boat speed, wind direction, local features, etc.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Mark

Post by Mark »

Ian

Yes rather quite I agree as I usually give those details.

Friday was a testing and experimental day. I wasn't exactly planning to post any vid from the sail, as I was actually testing out the GoPro under different recording conditions - it was only when I viewed the takes that I decided to make a movie, and only after it was made to post. I was also using the day to test out my Raymarine A7 chart plotter which partly explains some of my course as I was sailing using the chart close to a number of problematic areas. That is why I had the auto helm on for part of it so I could concentrate on this part of the experiment.

Anyway facts to go with sail are:

Winds ESE to SE to S as day progressed. Blowing at about 12-14kts but at the end of the day well over 25kts as the southerly reinforced, i had just got back to ramp as it hit. My fellow sailors were caught up in it and had some small adventures.

I averaged about 4kts most of the time sometimes over 5.5 and often around 3.5.

Future vids I'll add verbal comments. I plan some coastal excursions soon and one out to a hydrology wave-rider station about 5 nm E of the Tollgates (that is a little navigation exercise) so will record these events.

Best

Mark
Last edited by Mark on Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atles

Post by atles »

vary nice mark!! i need to get up to batemans bay and have a sail there.
i sail from Brisbane to the gold coast and back again a few weeks back nice over night stay in a marina.

were is the best place to go out from and do you have a marina there.
what is the best places to sail too in the bay .
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane
Mark

Post by Mark »

Atles

Batemans bay is located 5 hrs drive south of Sydney. Its an awful long way to tow a boat from Brisbane, specially when you have such interesting place to sail in your area. there is a launching ramp for TS at Hanging rock and I use this. There is a small Marina which is currently being rebuilt. Occasionally they have spaces for transiting yachts.

The nice thing abut the bay is that for simple day sailing its usually pretty easy although westerly and southerly winds can give you very few places to shelter if it rips up a storm as it often does. Summertime we are mostly treated to NE winds.

Sailing outside of the bay into the Tasman sea the swells are immediately apparent and going north Ulladulla is the only place in the area offering shelter and anchorages and south there a a few options depending on size of boats. However our I563s are not really built for these types of voyages and we mainly stick to the bay with small coastal excursions when conditions permit.

Best

Mark
atles

Post by atles »

thanks mark!!
i have 4 weeks over x-mas every year so i do not have to travel far each day for long trips
just take my time thanks for letting me know about the bay
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane