Storm Jib

Yara50

Storm Jib

Post by Yara50 »

The storm jib is a handy sail for +15 knot winds.
Attachments
I95 from Adelaide.
I95 from Adelaide.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Vrongel
Investigator Boat Name: #153 Lastochka

Re: Storm Jib

Post by Vrongel »

Hey Ian,

Awesome photo!

The boat taking the photo, is it also an I563? What's the cable going down with an eye used for?
My mast rigging has the same second stand with an eye coming from the back stay, i don't know what its used for and my main guess is that its for the boom topping lift as there is no topping lift sheave at the top of my mast. Am i correct with my guess?

I also don't see a topping lift on your I563. Connected to the backstay?
Attachments
Roger on Investigator_LI.jpg
Alex :D
Investigator #153 Lastochka
Sydney
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Actually I think you’ll find that the boat taking the pic is probably stationary and pointing the other way, as that hanging strop is actually standard on the forestay. It was on mine till I replaced the standing rigging and on the few others I’ve seen in the lake . You’ll probably find it on other pics in the gallery. I’m interested that you have one on the back stay .

It’s original intent was to act a hauling point to raise the mast via the main sheet block or an ancillary block set up and attached up front somehow, but leave the eye swaged on the end of the forestay uncluttered to attach to the SS bow roller bracket . I think there are some discussions on it very early in this forum to maybe it was back in the original MSN hosted forum. I think it’s even mentioned in the investigator Club notes in the Library . I don’t think I ever used it as I don’t raise the mast solo but I suppose there are those who would find it useful. It does look pretty daggy but Kevin Shepherd must have considered it a help when he designed the boat.

I don’t think I’ve ever noticed one on any other brand of TS, so Kevin was an innovator, but we all know that.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
IanS
Investigator Boat Name: Rhythm

Post by IanS »

Does anyone know the dimensions of this sail? My #2 jib is too big for the second reef in the main. It gives lee helm in a blow and the fairlead car doesn't go far enough back to add lots of twist to the jib.

I'm interested to know if more people have smaller jibs. I read that sailing under jib alone works in high winds but that seems to just blow the bow down wind when sailing to windward.

Looking forward to getting out this weekend, fingers crossed for no rain.

Ian
Ian, Rhythm #121
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

viewtopic.php?p=655&hilit=sail+dimensions#p655

You can get the pdf here Ian . I think it’s from John Crawford.

I have bought a small sail close to the listed Storm Jib size ages ago but have not yet fitted hanks to try. Tend to be conservative when we sail, so I’ve mainly got it in case I get caught out in crook weather with a failed outboard. Hope I never do. I will be interested to try it in non emergencies.

Would be interested in others comments on the use of the storm jib for those who have one. Earlier in my 563 ownership when I read everything I could on sailing (forgotten a lot of it now) I found references to a reefed JIB setup with reefing points like a main for occasional use. Have not seen anything on it since but makes sense I suppose. It’s just another way to reduce sail area and achieve a balanced helm.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
IanS

Post by IanS »

Thanks Ozzie, I had those dimensions. I'll have to re-measure mine, but I'm pretty sure it's a different shape from the one in the picture.

I didn't think about putting reefing cringles in and reinforcing the tack and clew for reefing - probably the cheapest option. I have also checked https://www.sailexchange.com.au/collections/jibs-1 on the off chance something showed up.

I replaced the luff wire in the small jib with double-braid because the wire had rusted, perhaps a little more sewing might be in order. Yes, interested to hear what others have, or if you think my sail balance problems are just because I don't know what I'm doing (likely).

Ian
Ian, Rhythm #121
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

See below investigator info including sail measurements
investigator_563_-_sail_measurements_wm.pdf
(826.4 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
investigator_563_-_sail_measurements_wm.pdf
(826.4 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
Attachments
Screenshot_20230609_200339_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
IanS

Post by IanS »

I've been doing some time wasting thinking about sail balance. The drawing below shows a rough estimate of centre of effort vs centre of lateral resistance. The CLR is VERY rough - I cut out a cardboard template of the below waterline parts of the boat and balanced it on a pencil. Actually I think my rudder is larger than the original so its likely aft of the centre board as shown.

Anyway the drawing shows significant lee helm. Any thoughts from the experts?
Sail Balance.jpg
mainsail 9.86m2
#1 jib 7.28m2

I am yet to measure my jibs, and reefing points on the main. That's the next step.
Ian, Rhythm #121
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Hi Ian, see below, a very good explanation of CE and CLR including the effects of heel. I think you will enjoy it

https://youtu.be/-cRG_Z3jkf0

Regards Peter
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
IanS

Post by IanS »

Thanks Peter!

The part at 26. minutes into the video I hadn't thought about (always something to learn). The other thing that's not mentioned in the video is asymmetrical the hull shape when heeled which causes the boat to round up. These two things together should compensate for the unbalanced sail plan when the wnd picks up.

I still think I'd like to try a smaller jib like the one shown in Ian's photo at the top of this thread.
Ian, Rhythm #121