Mal's Boat

Stories and pics of Investigators on the water - and getting there.
Yara50

Mal's Boat

Post by Yara50 »

Since Mal has joined thought I would post some pics of his boat. See how easy it is to board!
Launching
Launching
Stepping up
Stepping up
P1200130 (Small).JPG
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Mal's Boat

Post by Ozzie »

Good pics, another happy furler user. I am servicing my furler during the haulout but I am going to add a backup straight forestay.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Mal

Post by Mal »

Hi Ian, been a while since I have been active. I still have the Queeny J which is shown. Unfortunately it has been languishing in my yard for 3 years without use. Mainly because of a major reno to our house plus young kids being born plus work commitments. We have 2 boys and 1 girl now. But good news, I have got the trailer registered again and will be cleaning the old girl right up over next few weeks. Unfortunately my dad who is sitting in the cockpit in the photo has passed away since. But his legacy lives on! Cheers!
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Hello, I am a newbie and have not yet purchased my I563 but am looking at a few soon. My question is, does anyone have problems when launching and having to have any of the tow vehicle in the water? I was wondering if it would be possible to make a tow bar extension which could be fitted just prior to launch? has anyone out there done this? pic's please if you have. Cheers
Peter T
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

Hey Peter,

I for one don't have to have the tow vehicle in the water. Under the previous owner's instructions, I back the trailer in until the centreline of the trailer hubs are just submerged. Even this might be in further than needed, it certainly hasn't caused the boat to bottom out.

At this point I still have plenty of dry working area behind the car and at the front of the trailer.

Hope that helps.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Hi Peter,
The key is getting a tilt trailer. That allows the boat to slide off. A non-tilting trailer will need to be further in, but if the ramp is steep enough she will slide off. The only problem is if you put too much weight on the end roller, you can damage the keel.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Thanks Jeff and Ian. That's good news. Will be checking out a boat in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully it's a tilt trailer. Cheers
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

I think from memory David has an extension on his trailer . He may be able to let you know the details and possibly post a pic. I have a tilt and they’re great.

Only advice I’d give in regards to trailers is, if you do immerse it fairly well in salt water it’s not a bad idea to rinse it off straight away even though that means you can’t park and go sailing immediately. Once the salt water has the chance to dry out in all the places a trailer provides while you’re off for the day I don’t think it all gets dissolved as easily at the end of the day when you retrieve the boat and do it then or at home . Read that tip on a fishing site years ago and it seems to make good sense.

Given I only use my trailer for annual haulout and usually only half dip it then wash it within a half hour I’m still battling rust :shock: Given my time over I would paint the whole trailer with fish oil . It would look awful and smell like a prawn trawler but it would be still whole.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Thanks all, really good advice. thank you all. Hopefully will have some good news after this weekend, stay tuned
Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."