Mainsheet traveller

PetrusP

Mainsheet traveller

Post by PetrusP »

Just in the process of doing some work on my investigator and wondering if anybody here has ever considered moving their mainsheet traveller forward in the cockpit rather than having it on the stern?

Does seem to be in the way when if you want to put on a Bimini, I'm also wondering if she would perform better?

Love to hear some thoughts from the likes of the more experienced investigator owners :) thanks in advance!
Petrus Pretorius

Investigator 563 #unknown 'Clever Girl'
Brisbane North
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Mainsheet traveller

Post by Ozzie »

Only thing I would say Petrus is that having a traveler in the cockpit with you is something of a pain after the uncluttered cockpit of an Investigator. I crewed occasionally on my mates Supersonic 27 yonks ago ..pic pinched off the net..
Supersonic 27
Supersonic 27
On this boat it’s right in front of the campanionway.

I’m not a racer so I’m not sure of performance benefits but from a straight engineering perspective I’m wondering if the light boom of the 563 would have issues with the main sheet attached in the middle rather than at the end . Different attachment point, but a work college once told me that they bent their Sonata boom in heavy weather at the vang by having it on tight at the wrong time. I guess you could beef up the boom.

Others may have more insight on this as I’m sure someone posted about having done it in the past.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Bimini works fine with standard mainsheet setup. Do a search on here -top right for menu- and you will find many examples.

A boom vang will get you the main sail control you want. The Investigator 563 boom is stronger than the Sonata 6 one.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Gday Petrus,

I'm happy with the standard traveler and sheeting arrangement for the general cruising i do. It is also good for fitting and operating a Bimini canvas shade (a great relief when sailing a long way in the tropical sun) On my boat the bimini can be easily lowered and stowed neatly for strong winds, groups of people aboard, when trailing or any other reason.

Here's a link to my Bimini (and by default the standard traveler) posts in my blog

http://teria563.blogspot.com/search/label/Bimini

Cheers
Andrew
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
PetrusP

Post by PetrusP »

Thanks everyone for the feedback and pointers, after some consideration I'll keep the traveller where the original designer intended :) - particularly impressed with Teria's bimini's setup Andrew - thanks for the blog share :)
Petrus Pretorius

Investigator 563 #unknown 'Clever Girl'
Brisbane North
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Golden opportunity to mention Andrew that I also enjoy your blog. It’s a good reference for anyone looking at small TSs in the 563 size plus all of your other fit out info.

I’m sure you get a lot of traffic and hope, good feedback. I don’t buy sailing mags much anymore for two reasons , one, they seem aimed at millionaires and two, as there is so much good reading on the net these days such as yours. Not only that but Investigator specific. Good stuff.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Thanks for the positive feedback, I'm also past buying sailing mags for awhile at least and also found that the net led to some pretty good blogs FB pages etc, (usually surf the net before doing a new project on the boat) tho some of the info i needed was not there. so thought it might be good to document things and fill some info gaps hopefully.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria