The tiller hits my knee - what can be done?

countrypiper

The tiller hits my knee - what can be done?

Post by countrypiper »

Hi folks - the tiller seems to be too low on my boat - hits the knee when pulled towards me - maybe I have a replacement tiller without the correct rise? Does anyone have the correct measurements for an I563 tiller - is there somewhere known to someone that can supply me with a good tiller for the I563 to clear knees!

Snoopy
Hull 89
Yara50

Re: The tiller hits my knee - what can be done?

Post by Yara50 »

Welcome back Darren.
I have managed to move your post to the technical forum, where you might get more replies.

The original I563 rudder/tiller design was not one of its strong points. Hence there are many "after market" designs".
Yara has a pivoting tiller which can be lifted above the knees, or set vertical for more cockpit space. It also has a very clever friction locked bottom stop, which lets go should someone (usually me), fall on the tiller.

Do a search (Top RHS part of the screen) for "tiller" and see if you can get some photos.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

The original tiller for the Investigator is curved upwards so should easily clear your knees. I see from an old photo of Snoopy that she appears to be fitted with a straight tiller instead of the goose-neck type.

It wouldn't be too difficult to make up a curved tiller by laminating and gluing strips of plywood. I could supply some measurements if you want to give it a try.
Attachments
Tiller.jpg
Snoopy.JPG
Ray
Investigator #39
countrypiper

Post by countrypiper »

That high curve in the tiller would do it. I can't do a pivoting tiller - I have the main traveler on the transom keeping the tiller locked into position. I'll need to buy one - buying laminates and making a jig on my workbench seems to be a lot of work I don't need when I could be sailing :) So I found this web site http://www.anytiller.com/Products.html - has anyone used it before? The measurements you said you could provide me would be great, thanks - the website will make to order, so best I get one that is designed for the boat! The most important for me are the height of rise, and the length, I can work out the rest. Cheers, Snoopy
Raya

Post by Raya »

Length = 190cm
Rise = 35cm
Butt End width = 54mm
Butt End Hgt. = 29mm
Attachments
Tiller Dimensions.jpg
Ray
Investigator #39
countrypiper

Post by countrypiper »

Thanks - much appreciated.
countrypiper

Post by countrypiper »

Well, I tried those guys - no luck - any other suggestions. I could buy a few sheets of ply and cut out the shape and glue it all together I guess :(
Raya

Post by Raya »

Is the problem that the company won't ship to Australia?
Ray
Investigator #39
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Just buy a short length of aluminium channel, and two bolts, and you can convert to a lifting tller. The cut/hinge is in the cockpit, so it does not interfere with the traveller.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
no way

Post by no way »

Try this
Attachments
rudder head profile.jpg
rudder head profile.jpg (71.51 KiB) Viewed 3640 times
rudder head overview.jpg
rudder head overview.jpg (74.09 KiB) Viewed 3640 times
tiller 3.jpg
tiller 3.jpg (82.79 KiB) Viewed 3640 times