Running Rigging

neilmac

Running Rigging

Post by neilmac »

I've had my boat on a swing mooring for a month or so and during a storm last week a side stay snapped (just inside the swage). The mast ended up over the side. The mast was pulled out of the footing snapping the rivets. Fortunately no other damage resulted.
I had noticed that the boat did role quite a lot from side to side as it is exposed to waves coming from the side.

Anyway, I'm going to replace all the stays as a precaution and am wondering what others have done.

First, the forestay. The original setup had a furler which I removed and now just use a downhaul. I'm thinking of adding another hound with an additional forestay and perhaps keeping the original for the jib and maybe a future furler application (it still has the swivel).

Now, what about spectra in stead of wire - anybody done this, advantages, disadvantages?

How about both? This to strengthen the side stays.The boat is moored in a exposed position.

Anything else to consider?
Neil
Compass Rose, Elsternwick Vic
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Running Rigging

Post by Ozzie »

Déjà vu for me Neil.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=773&hilit=Broken+stay

I’ve had no issues since I made this post and I think the secret is to make sure your stays are well adjusted. It’s the shock load I think that snapped my shroud. As the boat rocks from side to side you don’t want the mast acting like a snatch strap on a 4wd and adding that extra bit of spring on the wire as a it continues to move a bit after the boat gets to the end of its “rock” so to speak.

I’ve added the extra hound and forestay for piece of mind on the mooring . When you think about it the revolving forestay has half a dozen or more potential failure points. I also have a strop backing up the adjustment block on the back stay as well.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=512&p=2482&hilit=Backstay#p2482

I have double swages on all my standing rigging but as in your case it was the cable that failed. Possibly a removable spectra backup might not be a bad idea when you think about it . But I think I’d want it removable, it’s sometimes messy enough sorting lines on a TS without extra lines to catch things in and on , not to mention extra windage.

Good luck sorting it out.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
neilmac

Post by neilmac »

Thanks for that Ozzie

Had a long chat with Karl at Keeley marine and he thought that just replacing all the stays as is would be OK and wasn't sure that additional stays would be worth it. He asked me whether the inside strands of the snapped stay was "coffee coloured" which it was and reckoned that it was on its way out anyway. Just as well it didn't happen under sail. He also said all the standing rigging should be swapped out every 7 years (mine are probably the original!) In fact apparently insurance companies are now insisting on it.

So I will take down all the wire (fore, back and side stays) and get him to replace them.

May I ask what sort of adjuster you have on your side stays. I have the original Stay adjuster (U shaped with a pin) and I'm thinking I should swap these for a turnbuckle system so as to properly tension the stays.

Still tossing up about the additional forestay.
Neil
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

Neil,

Spectra could replace the running rigging but I would stick with S/S for the standing rigging. The original furler setup isn't perfect, but it works most of the time. Beats going for'ard when you don't have to.

I think the original design of the boat and rigging was good but there is always room for improvement.
Ray
Investigator #39
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

7D89C83F-96E8-4ECB-A993-FE72807763E5.jpeg
Something close to this Neil. They were, I’d be certain, the original fittings.

I remember when I did the rerigging having to soak them in penetrating oil and very carefully work them back and forward on the thread slowly to free them up to easy adjusting operation. I’d say it was a long time since that had been done.

I have a dedicated spanner with a stainless rod for the centre hole attached by fine spectra in my tool kit now just for adjustment of these fittings, though they have pretty much stayed tight for the last few years .. I’d say there is not much stretch left if any in the shrouds.

I prethreaded onto the stay 400 mm of loose fitting caravan drain hose tube. This slides down and covers them to to prevent chaff of sails, lines , me and catching things on them ( also mainly me :shock: )
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
neilmac

Post by neilmac »

Thanks Ozzie

Yes, thats what I'm after. I will go with wire as its tried and tested method and perhaps an additional forestay.
Neil
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Thinking about backup stays while the boat is unattended on a mooring. I suppose you could create a long piece of spectra with a loop at the centre. Drag it up to the top of your mast with the main halyard then clip it to your chain plates . Not so much as a back up ( although it is ) but as an addition to the mainstays in severe weather. Sharing the load of a swinging mast.

Nuts? Well maybe, but the moored boat is often subjected to forces in a storm that you would not be sailing in. Aircraft all have backup systems of some sort.

I’m lucky in so far as I have a very good mooring location that is protected from large waves plus I always get my mooring serviced.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
neilmac

Post by neilmac »

Now thats a good idea. Almost like baby stays for mast stepping, in fact I have baby stays that connect to a hound on the mast about 2 metres above the cabin. Easy to setup, so might try them. My mooring is quite exposed and the boat does role a lot. Have thought about dropping the mast but that would be a bit of a pain.
Neil