Knots . Animated, stopper and hard.

Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Knots . Animated, stopper and hard.

Post by Ozzie »

I thought this site would probably be known to members but if not (knot) here it is

http://www.animatedknots.com/

This site by Grog, bless his bowline, is quite the best site I've come across for knots. While I get by with a half hitch, buntline and reef knot and before the ubiquitous ratchet tie down I could do a half reasonable truckers hitch, I still go here occasionally and try a new one. You can slow the videos to one frame at a time.

I like the animations as I am, and always have been, a spacial learner, but knots I find take a lot of constant practice to stay in the aged brain box and I forget them easily.
WTF knot???
WTF knot???
IMG_1215.PNG (17.34 KiB) Viewed 1838 times
Interesting to note there are nine listed stopper knots on this site. I usually use a simple overhand knot but some are fancy indeed. By the way, in the interests of correctness, it is called a "stopper" knot . Not a "stop" knot as someone stated on another thread of mine.

http://www.animatedknots.com/indextypestoppers.php

There will be a test next week. Lowest score wins my old password to TSP.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
atles

Re: Knots . Animated, stopper and hard.

Post by atles »

i go have a look,i forget some of them too LOL
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

I've found this knot very useful. It's not listed in the usual array of knots that you see and is easy to tie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqzJj6lYtj8
Attachments
Halyard to Shackle Knot.jpg
Ray
Investigator #39
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Good one Ray. I use a buntline for all rope to object but I will try and diversify and try this.

I had a workmate once who was a lifetime sailor and multiple S to H veteran and showed me an iclcle hitch

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f-kZHvzSZ2Q

He reckoned you could tie this to an inverted cone and you could hang off it!!!
IMG_1223.JPG
He didn't have a stalactite handy but tied to the end of a bit of aluminium tube and we had a tug of war and it held firm. Bloody amazing but not as amazing as the people who think these things out in the first place . A unique sense of engineering is needed.

If you look at the comments under the YouTube of Rays knot people talk about the loss of strength of rope used in knots. It's interesting and needs to be considered, even though we may not be dealing with industrial loadings on a trailer sailer.

In regards to difficulty of untying knots I have a standard WW sailing pocket knife on my belt when sailing. The marlin spike is designed to undo knots and is very effective. My old man had one on his fishing knife when I was a kid and never told me what it was for ?? He said it was ' a hooked hook for hooking stones out of horses hooves ' ;) I worked out years later it was so I wouldn't try undoing knots with it as I'd have probably stuck it straight through my $;/& hand
Marlin spike is the go
Marlin spike is the go
IMG_1224.JPG (41.68 KiB) Viewed 1809 times
My old man and great uncle tried teaching me lots of fishing knots as a kid. I can remember one and use it for everything. Maybe I should try an icicle knot on a hook and see how it goes :o
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)