Rudder Repair

Zephr

Rudder Repair

Post by Zephr »

Hi all,

The boat that I recently purchased came with a rudder that is missing something to keep it locked into the pins it sits on. The guy I purchased it from said it just needs a pin to keep it on but there is no hole for a pin. Can anyone post a pic of how the rudder is secured to the guide pins that it sits on?

Also the rudder has some fairly decent holes in the top in particular that appear to be cavities in the fibreglass, is this common? I have begun repairs by honing with a dremel tool which does a great job.
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Re: Rudder Repair

Post by Raya »

Zephyr,

There is locking tab on the lower pin that secures the rudder. (It takes some practice to align the rudder when there are waves about.) You should be able to fabricate something to keep the rudder in place. If not, you will need a new lower gudgeon pin. These are difficult to install as you need to cut an access hole in the transom to get at the bolts (there is a good post on this site explaining the process). If you need to replace the bracket, I'll find the post for you.

The rudder shouldn't have any unnecessary holes or cavities. Use a two pack filler when you repair it.
Attachments
Rudder Locking Tab.jpg
Ray
Investigator #39
Zephr

Post by Zephr »

Thanks Ray
Zephr

Post by Zephr »

Hi Ray/All,

It looks like the top of the pin is broken any ideas where I can source a replacement/fix?
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

Neither Riley or Ronstan seem to stock an appropriate transom pintle with a toggle. If you just need the toggle, you could purchase a 8mm 5/16" toggle pin and use the toggle from that. If you need a new pin, you would have to try and find a 90 x 8mm drop nose pin and use that as a replacement. An easier way might be to find a S/S fabricator and have them repair the pintle.
Ray
Investigator #39
Zephr

Post by Zephr »

Cheers mate
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

My pintles have pins with small holes for R clips , although I usually only pin the top one and sometimes neither in calm conditions, which is dumb I know. I agree locating the rudder on the pins is a PITA in rough water but I read the trick is to shorten one so you can do them one at a time. I am going to replace the pintles this haul out and have bought a small square LED cockpit light to fill the top hole I'll need to cut for access. Bottom will be a small stainless plate.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)