Barber-Haulers

Dr. Peter

Barber-Haulers

Post by Dr. Peter »

Ian asked me about barber-haulers in a different post and thought it best to start a new thread rather than hijack the original one.

For those that don't know barber-haulers are a simple way to adjust the sheeting angle on your headsail. You will also find them set up with spinnakers.

I have posted a video of my set up on the Investigator 563 Facebook Page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/840471046047374/

I have also included a couple of images here to help my explanation.

My barber-haulers are made each made from a short length of spectra (the yellow line) attached to a block by a bow-line. The yellow line is passed through the car which is attached to the track on the cabin roof and cleated off at the snail cam cleats (these were originally used to cleat the jib sheets).

My jib sheet is attached to the clew of the headsail and passed through the block on the barber-hauler and goes back to another block fixed to an eyebolt in the deck. This is at the forward end of the lazarette. The sheet is then passed through the horn-cleat (cheap at $4.00ea cf $70.00ea for snail cams) and a stopper knot is put in.

The angle on the sheet with no barber-hauler applied is along the foot of the jib and this allows air to spill from the top. Handy if the conditions are picking up a bit. Also handy if you are sailing off the wind.

On the FB video you can see the barber-hauler has altered the angle of the sheet where it equalizes the pressure on the foot and leach of the sail. When this corrected you can notice the boat pick up speed. Generally you want the clew of the jib inside the shrouds.

A more sophisticated explanation is here: http://www.mysailing.com.au/news/barber-haulers

Hope this helps.
Attachments
Pip - 86.jpg
Pip - 86.jpg (7.59 KiB) Viewed 6312 times
Pip - 66.jpg
Pip - 66.jpg (10.3 KiB) Viewed 6312 times
Peter
Pip #127