Galley Box

Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Galley Box

Post by Andrew »

My galley is in couple of plastic tote boxes, very cheap and simple. Cockpit area for stove and washing up.

Some small craft use galley boxes, built around their stove of choice usually with a storage compartment next to it.

Roger Barnes (cruising dinghy guru in UK) has an Origo 1500 in his custom galley box.(screen shot from utube video,)

Has anyone tried this approach,-? Its an alternative to the slide out galley,
Attachments
Roger Barnes galley box
Roger Barnes galley box
Last edited by Andrew on Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Galley Box

Post by Ozzie »

https://www.classicboat.co.uk/practical ... two-hours/
BF3AC1C2-046C-47A2-977C-1745B544DED0.jpeg
I toyed with the idea of the style shown above Andrew. While good for use, it then becomes a storage/weight Issue. Like you I have the plastic box. My other idea was a stove platform to clip to my forward cabin door (see my refurb pics)held up by two light ss chains to the top of the door. We could cook on that and still have our fold up table next to it to eat on.

At 2am, if still awake :idea: I design magnificent gourmet kitchens on the cabin roof under Emrys modified stand up pop top with angled out sides to provide more counter space. Then reality hits and I’m scrambling eggs on the Maxi in the cockpit. Then I wake up.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Classic boat UK is a good site. I promise to get a useful links thread going today.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Ozzie wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:05 am https://www.classicboat.co.uk/practical ... two-hours/

BF3AC1C2-046C-47A2-977C-1745B544DED0.jpeg

I toyed with the idea of the style shown above Andrew. While good for use, it then becomes a storage/weight Issue. Like you I have the plastic box. My other idea was a stove platform to clip to my forward cabin door (see my refurb pics)held up by two light ss chains to the top of the door. We could cook on that and still have our fold up table next to it to eat on.

At 2am, if still awake :idea: I design magnificent gourmet kitchens on the cabin roof under Emrys modified stand up pop top with angled out sides to provide more counter space. Then reality hits and I’m scrambling eggs on the Maxi in the cockpit. Then I wake up.
😄 Lol! at least it was a good dream

That galley box on the companionway step may get in the way and it doesnt have usefull storage. A squarish one like rogers could go anywhere,, either a spare bunk top, the cabin floor or cockpit. The lid becomes a work bench with fiddles, it all could be made heat proof with some aluminium sheet.

I've sketched a few design concepts. The ultra simple one is make the lid first, attach stove somehow and have a metal folding windscreen around edge to contain it. The lid aka base could be sized to fit into a tote box.

The pics below, off the net, are good ideas to mull over. Any design starts with the stove available and the cooking gear used. Then i would make a cardboard mock up to see if it all fits and works aboard the boat before cutting the ply. (Been watching road campers make custom galleys for SUVs etc..that's how some do it)
Attachments
image003-wr.jpg
Screenshot_20210425-215947_Google.jpg
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Still designing my galley box. Came up with a very simple one 12"x13" base and 12" high sides, with only one compartment (heat box)

Many net designs (for dinghy cruising) had 2 or more internal compartments, too complex for me and fuel containers would have to be removed from box anyway for fire safety. Also enough room/shelves/stow bins etc on an I563 to spread removed things around a bit,

My design method was to get all the stoves, fuel bottles, frypan (fold handle) thermos etc and build a cardboard mock-up around these. Then stow everything inside it. (It has allot of spare room for other stuff too). Tried it out in Terias cabin, seems to be right size/height (12" high fits into quarter berth hole, also 12" high can stand up a Trangia 1L bottle and my Coleman thermos. It's an easy size to carry and move about. My criteria is it must hold all the critical componentry to operate the stove(s) (eg fuel, lighters etc), (also some room for plates, cups and cutlery.) Also it's for safely cooking inside the cabin,( but could be used in the cockpit). It's to contain the open cup Trangia burner/spattering frypan oil etc and to prevent hot water etc from falling off onto you foot in unexpected waves/wakes). It must also be as compact as possible.

When used - nearly everything comes out and only the stove + hot pots remain. It's designed to hold my Trangia27 OR the Bonetti CAN (mini-origo) with a folding fry pan. (it's also big enough for a larger Trangia 25 - 22cm diameter)

It should be also ok for land use (Coleman 533 Guide shelite stove).
Attachments
rps20231118_154339.jpg
rps20231118_154605.jpg
rps20231118_154500.jpg
Last edited by Andrew on Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Teria galley box mock-up above was the third one (other two were larger, all were tested on boat..the first one was to see if two stove could operate side by side, it was too big in cabin. Proves its better to try it in cardboard before wasting $ cutting plywood. It was done over several months, plenty of time to think about it, look at all the utube videos etc).

If this works out hope other small craft owners, expecially Investigators, can use this as a starting point. Each galley box should be custom built around the items you have to put in it. They seem to be an ever evolving piece of boat kit.

Cut the plywood out, first the base (12x13") then 3 sides (lengthened as required to overlap base and back wall) The 12x13x12" dimensions are the inside dimensions, the box has grown slightly overall due to contruction materials.
Attachments
rps20231119_124822.jpg
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Good to experiment Andrew. Perfect the design and you could market them ! I have my Aldi nesting cookware and washing up stuff in the tub depression under the port quarter berth and my single maxi and coffee/tea/Bonox etc in a plastic Tupperware style box in the v berth area. But you do have to muck about setting it all up and you can’t cook in it.

My gold Logie goes to the old guy with the 16fter in the video section that was a good setup. Unfortunately explodo stove. His galley’s at 7.50. Bit hard in an Investigatior

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mWJqkiTE4

Looking forward to your ongoing testing.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

That guy is a hard act to follow, amazing what he's fit into a very small cabin and at such a high standard. He would have the most comfy 16 footer out there with that padded sliding (nearly arm) chair. :) His fold down galley design mustve taken a fair bit of thought too.

Back to beginners, bit more progress on my Galley box. Built the front door like a companionway drop board, 12x12mm aluminium channel for sliders. (It wouldve been far easier/quicker to just use plywood fastened to the front side, then jigsaw a door out. This is the preferred method) I thought about making a hinged door, but thought it might get in the way when opened (either horrizontal or side hinged)

Cut the lid/hot tray out. Next job is the lid's fiddles
Attachments
rps20231121_120729.jpg
rps20231121_120836.jpg
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Good Job Andrew, keep the progress photos coming mate. Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Nice job Andrew. Maybe you could use the slide off door for alt purposes too. Silicone heat sheet attached as hot pot rest or thin cutting board attached to surface as cutting board?

Keep publishing.

The 16 footer dude has a good setup but it’s definitely a single berth arrangement. Would be cramped for two.
Interesting about the chair setup. I’ve seen it mentioned in a few micro/pocket cruiser designs. I suppose it makes sense if your confined in small space you need a comfy seat. We have two large European cushions in Spritzig that we can put up against the bulkhead or the cockpit rails if outside to layback on. His looks like a repurposed car seat.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)