brisbane
no way

Re: what is your setup on your tiller

Post by no way »

Check out thread on "swing up rudder blade" for info and pics
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Sitting as far forward as possible is always better for the trim of the boat. A lifting tiller is also good to free up the cockpit when at anchor.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Hi all:

I fashioned my tiller from a readily available hardwood axe handle, and added a short extension to slide into a square tube atop the rudder.

At anchor, I can readily extract it to completely free up the rear cockpit area.

The axe handle has a lovely curve, and provides a great feel under hand and marches the other bright work on the boat.

I have a rubber battle stick tiller extension attached to my tiller arm that allows me to sit as far forward as possible (for weight distribution), or hang out as far as I like when heeled.

The arm just clips back into its holder when not in use.

I also have a tiller clutch that temporarily holds the tiller firmly in place while I attend to anything urgent (sailing single handed). It's also ideal for when I hove to.

I can recommend both.

Cheers,
Last edited by geoffr on Wed May 14, 2014 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Mark

Post by Mark »

Agreed the tiller clutch is a very useful device i use it all the time and sometimes is everything balanced correctly the boat will sail itself with the clutch engaged for a very long distance.
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

What works for me.

My tiller has an eye bolt shaped pin attached to a lanyard that locks it into a square tube on top of the rudder. Quick to remove at anchor.

I have a neat ronstan tiller extension that came with the boat, I think it's carbon , first one shown below

http://www.ronstan.com.au/marine5/SAtillerext.asp

This has a Velcro tab to lock it down to the tiller when not in use (important) behind that I have a basic bias serrated / smooth knife in a solid clip in scabbard. This will cut rope and spectra. ( I don't race but this is a requirement in some race rules, possibly all )

My tiller minder idea I got from my mate, an old experienced singlehanded racer. Just two loops of quality bungy cord one fixed on each side of the toerail. Looped over the tiller handle they hold the tiller true but allow the tiller to make minor adjustments just my leaning against the pressure then it recentralizes automatically . Try this first before you buy anything more expensive you may like it.

A good exercise is to set it up with the rudder dead ahead and then adjust your trim till the boat tracks true. In theory you are perfectly trimmed (direction wise in regard to weather helm) for those wind conditions. Then try sitting forward and hang onto your main sheet , you can steer the boat just by playing the main sheet. This is just how I steered my old wind surfer 30 years ago :)

Get you a pic later today... all well we are going for a sail down to Pulbah Island wheeeeee :D
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Mine is on trial - it is an ex Hartley 18 gal rudder. I re-drilled the pintle mounts and made the tiller fixed. The handle is quite long and so I tend to sit in the middle of the cockpit.

When moored up I tend to lash it to one side or the other with a bungy cord or ockey and usually presents no real problem especially with the rudder up.

Mounting is a matter of passing the tiller handle under the rope horse and dropping it on the the pintles. I have a ute and carry the tiller/rudder in the back of that.

Peter
Peter
Pip #127
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

In addition to an upwards pivot, Yara's tiller has a clever system of friction clamp to stop downward movement from the normal position. If you happen to accidentally fall on it, it doesn't break, the friction plate just slides up.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Tiller pic. The toothed rope jammer I have the velcro extension holder on is the hold down for my other wooden pivot rudder.
CAM00145.jpg
Simple locking pin (tethered) that goes through the stainless rectangular tube on top of the original rudder. its never come out.
CAM00146.jpg
When sailing properly I'm usually forward in the cockpit but in light breezes I have a float cut from a rubber boogie board that I lay against the taffrail as a backrest , put my feet up on the seat , grab a beer from the esky and all is right with the world
relaaaaax
relaaaaax
TSCOM Avatar.jpg (9.37 KiB) Viewed 6436 times
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Ha ha
my style of sailing exactly
Don't forget some decent music
Way to go Ozzie
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'