I563 refurbishment nearly over - reassembly - Update

cruiserpete

I563 refurbishment nearly over - reassembly - Update

Post by cruiserpete »

Hi all,

I'm now on the home straight with my refurbishment with the exterior at least.
Since last posting I've:

Installed the Tenob outboard bracket, wow, the Tenob is fantastic as it raises and loweres very smoothly and with very little effort but has a firm locking action. It's very heavy duty in its build and is one of only a handful of outboard brackets to accept 4 stroke outboards.

The stern has a slight rake so I used the previous stock outboard bracket to remount the Tenob to the setrn unfortunately, the stock outboard bracket was too narrow to suit the Tenob but I simply cut the stock bracket in half and mounted each half to the Tenob. I 'painted' 2 layers of epoxy over the old bracket to seal it. All in all, it has done a fantastic job and is very secure. Lastly, I also backed the Tenob with 6mm plywood and the original steel backing plate.

You can see in this photo the split stock bracket to suit the Tenob mounting arms.

Next item to install was my boarding ladder. Not only is it a lovely convenience when swimming or the like but I recently read about a single handed sailor who fell overboard and could not get back on board his boat. he had to swim to shore (badly cutting his feet on the rocks), raise the alarm and hope like hell his now drifting boat did not wreck itself on the rocks. I safety harness would have prevented this but it's a timely reminder that a ladder makes sense if falling over board as a mean to get back on board more-so with a safety harness.

Next item to install was the genoa tracks, return block and cleats. I needed to pad out the block by 6mm so the sheet would clear the coaming. I had intended on using marine plywood given that I have a few sheets but instead opted for plastic. I bought a 7mm plastic shopping board from KMart for $3 cut out the required shape, sanded it for final shaping and I must admit is had made a brilliant pad.

lastly, for the week at least I decided to clean up my slightly corroded hatch adjusters. It was only a matter of polishing them with my dremel and was completed in about 30mins. All in all, they came up fantastically.

The corrosion and the polished

Well.... that it for now. I've only got the jib tracks to install, a few cam and horn cleats, the shroud U bolts, a handful of pad-eyes and the navigation lights. I'll install a simple wiring plan for now so I can temporarily install my VHF.

Future installations are the full electronics wiring and associated hardware, solar panel, interior lighting and gas cooker install and fine tuning the rigging.

Future fabrications are making a transom mounted mast hoist to give about 20° lift to the mast, some form of jackline system and maybe a windlass for the anchor but not sure about the last.

Cheers, Pete