Outboard bracket and taffrail mods.

Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Outboard bracket and taffrail mods.

Post by Ozzie »

This is Outboard bracket : replacement of timber pad

This was from an old haul out (I finally found the pics on my old phone/camera)... long post I drafted ages ago ...get a cup of tea...

Three issues needed solving as my moored Investigator and myself grow old together.

Getting into and out of the boat, getting the outboard on and off the boat and the deterioration of the outboard pad.

My problem is that my back is about ten years older than me and as much as we fool ourselves eventually you have to take to make life easier. Previously these hadn’t been as much of an issue, we climbed over the taffrail from the tender and I had to either lift the OB from the rocking tender while standing in it onto the pad or, if the OB was onboard, swing it over the top of the rail onto the pad. That has become a method for younger men.

My two fold approach has actually solved a few problems .

First I have finally cut away the centre section of my ss taffrail, one, to facilitate easier boarding from the tender and two, for moving the motor about.

The original plywood mounting pad on my outboard bracket had long ago given up the ghost. Plastic replacements get a very bad wrap on the net.. Transferring the OB from my tender to the boat tends to be brutal on the pad and gouges the top away and I just kept shaving the damaged top down and repainting it. Eventually the OB pads would not clear the metal bracket. I eschewed the idea of an aluminium protection cover because (from my experience as a lifetime tinny owner) I think the cushion of soft timber helps to dampen the already PITA vibration you get from small two strokes.

So, secondly I have made a double width outboard pad that extends towards the boats centre line. This was made from an off cut of 50 x 190 treated pine beam I picked up during council throw out a while back . As it is not quite as tall as the original pad I've added a 'sacrificial spacer' piece of oiled hardwood ( made three off) which is screwed into the top with ss countersunks. This piece of hardwood will take all the stresses of loading and I can slap bit of oil on it occasionally. Once it's stuffed it's easy to screw on another one . The main pad where the clamps go will remain reasonably unscathed. This is the bit that takes the thrust forces. Why double width you ask ? Well with my particular spinal damage light deadlifting is difficult but not out of the question but human crane acts in attempting to swing weight away from your body are.

It is far easier with Mrs Ozzie’s help to just drag the OB on board through the new opening when standing on a nice solid deck we then swing the leg out through the opening and plonk it on the extended part of the bracket. I can then stand in the port side locker and slide the OB across to it's normal mounting position. No fuss . No muss. And no rough stuff . At least that was the plan, which has worked so far.
CD0F220D-0A63-410D-8CFC-86B081A808BC.jpeg
Although it's not really a problem I have also added a lift up 'gate' across the removed section of taffrail made from aluminium channel. My original plan was to have a grandiose swinging gate professionally made in matching 25 mm stainless . Maybe later on. I notice most investigators have no cross piece on the taffrail but I do fish and often at night from Spritzig II so, like a seat belt you only need it when you need it. I have also added a SS boarding ladder as I USED to be able to haul myself out of the water using the inbuilt ladder steps......but that was during the Howard administration.
18E3650F-B87B-4AC9-B0A1-441989A51982.jpeg
One day I should just about have this boat sorted, probably the year before I’m too old to sail.

If you don’t see pics yet give me 10 minutes ...make that a few hours. My pics are on my superceded android phone which won’t log in to this site because my browser was the same as the one Noah used on the arc. Need to find an adapter for my micro sd.🤬
Attachments
FBD046CF-5CD0-4E7C-AA91-97FE0D056E66.jpeg
FE7307A8-F25F-4A91-90E9-8D8B77519094.jpeg
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Re: Outboard bracket and taffrail mods.

Post by Ozzie »

Final pic after finishing off which I just found
2A945A23-4322-4B52-82E3-87F406531061.jpeg
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Last pic
9AC99D41-D6EA-41D6-B91A-24ACA6A10DDA.jpeg
Hi Geoff, I meant to add to answer your question re fittings that I don’t think in the end this opening gate setup is probably the best idea. Two reasons, when sticking up like mine does it is something of a hazard and I suppose in a worst case scenario you could impale yourself on it if you slipped at an inopportune moment.

Second point, I’ve discovered it can be annoying when lowering the mast it’s in the way when up but you need it up climbing in and out of the boat . Once the mast in down on its stands you have to lift the mast again to close the gate.

Maybe hinging it down somehow would be better but in retrospect I think a stainless chain with a flexible plastic cover might be a better option. You could put clips on either end or even a ss cable like a short lifeline with suitable end clips . I left a section of pipe sticking out at each end in case I wanted to weld the removed section back so I’m my case it’s just wide enough to get a human or outboard through. I’d be keen to see others treatment of this opening.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

We’ll it’s amazin’ what you find when clearing up for council bulk waste collection. My old outboard mount. I suppose given it was 40 summers old with 12 or so on a mooring it did ok. Tried to sneak it out onto the pile without the wife noticing I’d kept it for a few years after I told her I was throwing it out. No luck. As punishment I’m banned from picking up new stuff from the neighbour’s piles. Life is unfair. :) :)
734D37B8-FA0F-4A05-B93F-BE7E4BC07FFF.jpeg
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

Hey Ozzie,
Thanks for the pics and the explanation.
I snipped my rail out so the remaining stubs are only an inch or so. I have put rubber chair feet over them so they don't damage people.
I was thinking of a dropdown rather than lift up. I was thinking of getting 4 of these:
https://www.roadtechmarine.com.au/canop ... t/p/MBC140
using 2 each end of the piece I cut out and joining through the holes. Bolt and nut at the pivot end portside and a sprung clevis pin on the other end.
BUT, I think I will try without doing anything for a while. There seem to be plenty of trailer sailers that don't have any lifelines or rails over the transom. Plus the backstay would be some sort of barrier?

Re your throwing out stuff. I have a shed full of bits my wife thinks I have thrown away. I am right now going through it and filling the box trailer to go to the tip. Will be about my third real cleanout in 25 years. Pretty excited right now, I can see most of the top of my workbench. That's pretty rare. :D
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

I think your idea would be much better Geoff. Mine was just done quickly and as an experiment, plus as I mentioned I do go out at night a bit and I’ve gotten used to the security of the rail. Spritzig is an unusual setup . The solid rail goes the full length of the cockpit. The chap I bought her off was elderly and may have done it for better security or maybe it was original.

I have been a hoarder for years, fortunately I generally make use of stuff I keep and as a retired draftsman I usually have no issues fabricating new bits from old, but the possibility of downsizing is looming in the future and many tools and projects have been sold off, turfed out and moved on to my son in law. My other retired mates are also hoarders so we have junk exchange programs 8-) With gumtree these days I find I don’t need to keep much. When I need something, someone else is throwing it out or giving it away for a song. Let them take up the space in their shed and incur the wrath of the ministry of finance :lol: :lol: . Will post my bilge pump in tech section now.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

I didn't notice your rails before in the pics Ozzie.
Does look good, bit flasher than lifelines.
Maybe you got a Premier and I have a Kingswood.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"