Best outboard for an investigator563

Dr. Peter

Re: Best outboard for an investigator563

Post by Dr. Peter »

A 100:1 mix is not difficult to work out at the bowser:

Say I put 19.25L of petrol in my tank. First I convert this amount to mL (milliliters). With a 1000mL in a litre we now have 19250mL of petrol in our tank. We have to convert to mL because that's how we will measure the two stroke oil out.

I divide 19250 by 100, which means moving the number two decimal places to the right. Thus 19250 becomes 192.50 or 193 if you round up the 5 to get a whole number. So you need 193mL of two stroke oil to go with 19250mL of petrol

However, most bottles of two stroke oil show graduation scales in 100 or 200ml increments and I would probably add 200ml of two stroke oil to the tank in this instance.

It probably takes longer to write down than to do.

OK teacher hat off.
Last edited by Dr. Peter on Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Pip #127
Alisha

Post by Alisha »

I think I am going to go with the 2 stroke 6hp tohatsu, only ~20kg. Its a shame though because I really wanted the gears on the tiller control so I didn't have to lean off the back to bang it into forward or reverse. Unfortunately it seems only the ~10hp 4strokes have this option and weigh ~28kg, which i think is too much to have hanging off one side of the boat with the external fuel tank also on that same side of the boat (too much weight on one side). Thanks for all your help.

Happy sailing! :)

Cheers,

Lish
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Late welcome from me Alisha. If you are buying new you may need to go for an Extra long shaft for the 563 which will be 23 inches from the transom hook to the cavitation plate above the prop. I have used my standard shaft merc5 on the 563 and the lifting out of the prop even happens if I go up the front to rig the jib at idle. Not insurmountable in flat water but absolutely undesirable in a chop. Check carefully with dealer of the particular OB you choose, but for some I'd say long shaft is not extra long . You really need the full length for good operation. High thrust prop is supposed to be optional but my local merc dealer was trying to charge extra when I got a quote so I finished up buying second hand and have not yet changed the prop. Possibly dealers are used to selling standard small motors to fishos and do not understand the nuances of TSing.

By the way it's not too difficult to rig rods or pull cords to your controls to get them into the cockpit . A simple PVC pipe over the throttle is the most basic control extension . Many Obs have a hole in the gear lever for cable remote attachment . Luckily I have long arms :)

Good luck. ;)
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Alisha

Post by Alisha »

Thanks Ozzie,

I do like the sound of setting up some-kind of extension for the motor controls.

Cheers,

Alisha
Alisha

Post by Alisha »

I have purchased a tohatsu 2 stroke 9.8 horsepower outboard! :D
It was only 26kg and only cost $1650 brand new (there was a sale on). I am also purchasing the thrust prop for it :) I am going to pick it up next weekend! Thanks for your help team :) Cheers, Alisha
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Changing tack, I was wondering if anyone runs a 4hp or less on their investigator, and how does it go.? Investigators were designed to have a 3.5hp originally.

Heard that Yamaha 4hps 4 stroke are ok. Can plug in an external tank and get allot of range. The annual boat registration fee could also be dropped (in queensland) the 4 strokes a bit heavier but idles quietly for long periods without 2 stroke problems.

Re- 2stroke vs 4 stroke - Local regulators may only allow the cleaner 4 strokes on some lake/dams.

any thoughts appreciated

Andrew

Ps i've currently running a 9.8hp 2 stroke Johnson
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
seanslife

Post by seanslife »

G'Day Andrew,
I run a Parsun 3.6hp 2 Stroke Long Leg, purchased in Dec from the Aus agent. Because I must be cautious of straining my Back too much I was looking for a motor lighter than my fantastic 6hp 2stroke Yammie. I have thus far been impressed with the Parsun. It has taken me across the Bar at Batemans Bay against a significant blow without the need for full throttle, and I seem to have got it idling well now too. It's louder than the yammie and unbalanced (maybe because single cylinder?) by comparison. I note that most of the sub-4hp range come with Neutral and Forward gears only, requiring the swiveling of the motor in order to go in reverse - a skill I'm yet to have confidence in. The engine doesn't have a plug for an external fuel tank and with less than 2Lt capacity I have learnt to take every opportunity to keep the fuel topped up (anchor, leave the leg down to refill whilst sailing just after shutting the engine off, launching).

Based on my own 6 month experience, I recommend the use of a sub-4hp 2 Stroke as a cheap and light-weight method of propulsion for the i563 - it pushes the boat along nicely and starts every time, that's all I need from it. But, it's a fairly agricultural experience when compared to the 6hp 2Stroke Yamaha which smooth, quiet and has the external tank. My recommendation only extends to normal day sailing - in my upcoming Whitsunday trip I plan to use the 6hp Yamaha.

I have no affiliation with the agents or manufacturers - I'm just a satisfied customer.
Sean G
"Whispering Wind"
i563: #144
Canberra

http://www.seansboatbuild.blogpsot.com.au
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

I have recently gone through the exercise of re-powering and chose the Tohatsu 6hp 4 stroke Sailpro. Yet to try it, been messing with the boat electrics and trying to sort out solar/outboard/external mains charger. BTW I found that solar charge controllers have a small current drain, so if the solar is not connected you are going to end up with a flat battery.

Anyway, back to motors. My 2.3 hp Honda pushed the boat along fine at less than half throttle. So unless you are trying to bash straight into a 25 knot headwind, I am sure a 4hp would be more than enough with the right prop. But here comes the problem. Many makers charge a heap for a non-standard prop. Then, many of the makes dont offer long shaft on a 4hp. So you go up to a 5hp at least, but they are still going to add $$ for the prop. The Tohatsu combines all the needs in one with 4 stroke and ultra long shaft at 27 in, as well as a charging circuit, at a competitive price. Only downside is it is very long, and the stand had to be modified, plus at 28kg, it is reasonably heavy. Probably will never operate at more than half throttle for 90% of the time.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Yara50 wrote: Anyway, back to motors. My 2.3 hp Honda pushed the boat along fine at less than half throttle. So unless you are trying to bash straight into a 25 knot headwind, I am sure a 4hp would be more than enough with the right prop.
Hi Ian,
I have bit the bullet and bought a 2.3hp Honda. Portability became a major issue (damn hernia). However, reading about these motors suggest that their little in-built tank creates issues. One becomes very conscious of keeping them topped up with fuel. What was your approach to this? I'm thinking pre-filled 0.8 to 1.0 L fuel bottle might be handy.
Peter
Pip #127
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

For the 2.3hp Honda I had a small 4l? fuel container with a pouring spout and air vent. Only problem is knowing when to stop, as you cant see into the tank very easily. Any fuel container has to be rated as such, as your average plastic bottle might split or otherwise fail with maybe bad consequences.
Also, if you tilt the motor when sailing, be sure to close the fuel vent and fuel tap.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara