Best outboard for an investigator563

Alisha

Best outboard for an investigator563

Post by Alisha »

Hi,

I love this group! :)
I have recently purchased an investigator and seem to be on an infinite path to spend all my time and money on her, but I love this boat!

My next purchase will be a new outboard for reliability.

I have a motor on her at the moment, but it possibly dates back to the industrial revolution itself.
It is a short shaft 5hp 2 stroke that pushes the boat along ok but in a storm and strong current it really did struggle...

I am going to purchase a brand new motor so as a girl trying to remember how to sail etc. I don't have to worry about being able to make it back home under power if a storm or something pops up.

I am thinking a 8 hp mercury 2 stroke or 6-7 hp Yamaha 2 stroke (4 strokes seem too heavy and expensive)?
I was also thinking of having a thrust propeller.
I originally I wanted the gears on the handle so i don't have to hang off the back of the boat to chuck it into reverse, but i think this might not be available in these lower hp engines...

I have a spring bracket to attach and lower it on the back of the boat, so should be ok with a short shaft.

Would anyone recommend a brand or hp for these great boats :)

Cheers,

Alisha
Yara50

Re: Best outboard for an investigator563

Post by Yara50 »

Welcome Alisha! Nice to have a girl owner.
The standard motor is a 5 hp long shaft with sailboat prop. The long shaft and sailboat prop make a huge difference. With a short shaft the prop either leaves the water when it is rough, or gets drowned and is difficult to get to. A standard prop on a sailing boat slows the motor and prevents it developing full power. Heavier motors are a pain.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Alisha

Post by Alisha »

Thanks Ian!

Excellent, I will definitely take that advice on board (excuse the bad pun). :D Yes, weight really is an issue, its great to know that a long shaft 5 hp with sailboat prop will do the job.

Cheers,

Alisha
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

I have an 8hp 2stroke Yamaha with dual thrust and it is a great motor. It is heavy though and I use pullies to lift it in and out of the water. If you look hard enough you will see everything from 4hp up to 15hp fitted to Investigators. Ian is right though, a 5 hp long-shaft yacht-motor is arguably enough for most situations. I would choose a 2 stroke for more lightness and simplicity. Keeping the weight off the stern will definitely make the boat sail better.

I like Yamahas which run at 100:1 petrol:oil mix and don't smoke compared to older motors. However, most new motors seem pretty good. Check out the cost of servicing if you don't plan to do your own as this can be expensive.

However, an outboard absolutely has to work when you ask it and you must be able to raise it and lower it to from the water, even when conditions are less than ideal.

Don't forget too that it may have to be lifted in and out of your vehicle when rigging de-rigging. I don't carry mine on the bracket when trailering.

The picture shows my pulley set up and the fact that I raise the motor and then use the shallow water setting when stopped. I tilt it all the way up when sailing.
Attachments
DSCN0032.jpg
DSCN0032.jpg (19.83 KiB) Viewed 9963 times
Peter
Pip #127
kevwr400

Post by kevwr400 »

Hi Alisha, good to see a chick on this sight :) your thoughts and opinions very much appreciated! Excellent advice from Ian and Peter, but dont overlook the Chinese brands 'good bang for buck!
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Peter, when you get a chance, can you post some detail pics of your motor pulley system? Ta.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Tenaciousgreen

Post by Tenaciousgreen »

Thought should also be given to where you are sailing, for example one of the inlets here in WA that we negotiate can having a strong tidal push, sometimes reaching 5 - 6 knots, so you need to be able to power through this. I have a 8hp Mercury long shaft, which gives just a bit more than the standard 5hp. If you are just sailing inland then this might not be a problem.
Rich Tolley
Yacht Name: Spirit of Christy
Mandurah, WA.
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Yara50 wrote:Peter, when you get a chance, can you post some detail pics of your motor pulley system? Ta.
Its on the 'to-do list'
Peter
Pip #127
Alisha

Post by Alisha »

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. Especially Peters comments on weight, power and portability: good points. A bit wary about the Chinese offerings, have heard missed reports. No 5 to 6 knot tidal streams in Moreton Bay luckily. Now the Whitsundays may be a bit more forceful! Thrust props are the go by the look of it.
cruiserpete

Post by cruiserpete »

Hi Alisha,

I've got a brand new Honda 4 stroke / 5hp long shaft outboard BUT...

The Honda 5hp/4 stroke requires a 4 stroke outboard bracket (most outboard brackets state "For 2 stroke only" ) hence, I've since invested in a tenob outboard bracket because the Tenob is 'rated' for 4 strokes

The Honda 5hp/4 stroke does not seem to have available a high thrust prop for it. It seems high thrust props (Honda or other brand props) only start on the Honda 8hp models hence, I'm limited to the stock Honda medium thrust prop on the 5hp

The Honda 5hp/4 stroke is a 'tad' heavier than a similar 2 stroke

The benefits
No messing about with 2 stroke fuel mixing, Honda have a superb reputation for reliability and high build quality (the main reason I bought it) Honda have a very good 3 year guarantee, the Honda 5hp comes with a 3amp charger as standard....and lastly, I like Honda's lol

Cheers, Pete