Best outboard for an investigator563

Dr. Peter

Re: Best outboard for an investigator563

Post by Dr. Peter »

I suspected this might be a problem which is why I thought a pre-measured 800ml bottile might be handy.
Peter
Pip #127
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Hi all, good topic, i'm investigating 2 stroke motors due to the 2 stroke ban beginning.

Had a very detailed and long (1hr!) yarn with the local Tohatsu rep (also a good mechanic) at their workshop, hidden away in a back street of an industrial zone. They have a very different approach to sales and maintenance to the "big names" around (Yamaha, Mercury etc} They don't keep much stock but just order in exactly what is required which takes about 4 days,

I was after Tohatsu 4-5hp longshaft 2st on arrival. but not so sure now. He is very cluey on the power and prop requirements for small heavy yachts. The owner suggested that a 6,8 or 9.8 hp with a 6" pitch bigger prop (to give high thrust) would be better and push an investigator into a very strong wind/sea and tide race situation. (like whats found in the Whitsundays). They all have the same engine specs and all weigh 26kg's (different carby's) (They also have a good folding outboard trolly if moving it becomes an issue.)

We got into allot of mechanical/maintenance detail. The 4-5hps wear out their rubber steering bush faster, the 6-9s have a much more robust set up which lasts for life. Many parts are interchangeable over time, eg Modern lower legs can bolt straight onto 30 year old motors. The removal of the lower leg for impeller maint is easy, with an exposed connector for the gear shift rods. The ignition advance was old school solid mechanical. A decent looking fuel filter was in there (better than the Johhno's piece of ss gauze). They can be fitted with alternator battery recharging system via a rectifier to convert the AC into DC. The fuel pump is more robust than the 4-5hps ones. They are their best sellers for small yachts. The only real changes over the years were to ignition electrical components, the hardware is all the same dimensions over time.

Says the 6" pitch means the motor can run at higher revs, better for a 2st motor. The boat will have better low speed acceleration, ie recover faster from large wave knock backs.

so which power size to choose 6, 8 (or more.?)
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

As there is no weight penalty between the models, I'd go for the 9.8hp model. It will maintain the speed you want at lower revs and be quieter doing it (and probably use less fuel). I normally run my (15hp) outboard at only a little above idle and it is very quiet and fuel efficient. (I haven't had any issues with plugs fouling.) It is also good to know that there is plenty of power available when you need it. You will be also future proofing yourself if you move to a larger TS.

If you look after your new purchase, you might end up with the last remaining workable 2 stroke outboard in Australia in 20 years time. Could be worth a fortune.
Ray
Investigator #39
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

6 hp is more than enough. I went for the 6hp Sailpro and it never gets over just past starting revs most times.

The 6 hp 4 stroke Sailpro was roughly the same price as the 2 stroke long shaft and has an extra long shaft. A bit hard to move around and I had to raise my stand, but great for keeping the prop submerged in broken choppy water.
I lost my shearpin in the "washing machine" area of Pittwater with the 5hp long shaft due to the engine racing and then dropping back. Most embarassing as there was no wind and I had to ask for a tow back to the ramp.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

6 hp is more than enough. I went for the 6hp Sailpro and it never gets over just past starting revs most times.

The 6 hp 4 stroke Sailpro was roughly the same price as the 2 stroke long shaft and has an extra long shaft. A bit hard to move around and I had to raise my stand, but great for keeping the prop submerged in broken choppy water.
Sounds like the Tohatsu sailpro 4-stroke could be good for some long range cruising (and return, to deadlines). I was reading a blog https://backbeatsailing.wordpress.com/2 ... ro-review/ and the owner was very happy with it. he cruises a 25fter at about 5knots on 1/3 throttle, it sips fuel - ran for 11.5 hrs on a 3 gallon tank, plus is quiet. The price was much less than 9-10hps he was looking at.

Ian, you mentioned it comes as a package - extra long shaft, sailboat propeller, and charging (tho this isn't much at 1/3 throttle), weight still reasonable, all good points.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Hi All,

Decided on retiring the old 2 stroke Johnson and replaced with a Tohatsu Sailpro 6hp UL shaft 4 stroke.

(The old 2st Johnson 9.9HP, now 40 years old, motor needed a new gearbox shaft seal fitted, that alone was $300. the service would be an extra $300 or so, there's are other issues like the tiller handle cogs are jumping and the carby. It was to be around a $950 repair bill. So cut loose, bought her home in bits, for her old age retirement in the container..)

Tohatsu dealer/mechanic did a pre-delivery preventative-maintenance ( pull apart lower leg, grease shaft and check torque on nuts) and 1 hr freshwater tank run to seal the gaskets for extended saltwater use. Before purchase, checked out the u-tube videos on the sailpro, the main thing noticeable is how quiet it is and that it pushes some sizable yachts about.

Blog update on it http://teria563.blogspot.com/2019/10/ne ... o-6hp.html

Have tested the motor on the shakedown sail. Its definitely a big improvement. Quiet, economical, reliable, clean. Used hardly any fuel from the 12L external tank in 3 days (about 2 litres), as minimal throttle required to get hull speed. The fuel use must be a small fraction of the old motor. tested it into a 10kn headwind/chop and only a few more revs needed..the thrust prop really bites in and drives it at low revs. The UL leg never looked like prop cavitiating , even going out into a 20 knoter in wind against tide from the river entrance on day1, (actually had to throttle back to do about 3 knots comfortable speed). The high thrust prop also good for slowing at a pontoon, must go easy on throttle compared to old engine. Its still in the break in phase, cant go high revs, but the motor handled the rough conditions easily without any need to power right up.

The only thing was the ULshaft hit the waves when sailing (in 20- 25 knot winds) and a 1m sea, my old Whitworths bracket cant lift it up enough. it drags a bit especially when to leeward. Rigged ropes to brace it sideways. But could put up with that, or get a higher lift heavier duty bracket.

It came with inbuilt battery charging ?alternator but had to get a long cable made up by an auto/boat electrician to reach battery under companionway step. Its thicker gauge copper wires than the short cable that came with motor. Haven't tested it as yet.

The 28kg motor and 12L fuel on the port side locker area doesn't seem to affect boat trim at all. (counter balanced it with 20L of water, and 15L of spare petrol in 2 small petrol containers (would only be used on a very long cruise!) and 2nd anchor gear (10kg?) in starboard aft locker) There's certainly allot of aft buoyancy in an Investigator hull to take plenty of weight in the cockpit area.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

https://www.evinrude.com.au/site/defaul ... select.pdf

As a result of targeted advertising I followed a link to the Evinrude site above . This has a very good potted explanation of propellers with diagrams which I thought may be on interest to anyone looking at an outboard for Investigators or other water toys.

As the second adjusted deadline for the death of two strokes approaches I have been expecting clearance ads for remaining stock to proliferate the web . So far nothing much.

Not that I’d be buying new at this stage, just thought there may be a glut of older outboards on gumtree as others do.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
no way

Post by no way »

Ozzie, doubt very much there'll be clearance sales. All 2 strokes gone already. At last years Sydney boat show dealers where out of 2 strokes and only selling 4's. That would have been ideal time to get rid of stock imho