replace Aluminium framed windows with tinted perspex etc

cruiserpete

replace Aluminium framed windows with tinted perspex etc

Post by cruiserpete »

Hi all,

I've been a bit busy with teaching (reports etc) and have not spent much time refurbishing , however, it's time to get back to the refurbishment.

I'm now thinking of removing the original aluminium framed windows to reseal and replace to a perspex or similar. At close to 30 years old the perspex (or whatever they used) must be past its use by date and brittle thus, any good hit will crack them.

My searches indicate that the aluminium would be hard to refit/reseal and given that mine looked like they have been epoxied around the edges to 'reseal' the aluminium frames would be difficult to remove with out damage. Secondly, the frame looks to be riveted to the coachside thus, I'll need to drill out the rivets and reattach with screws but that is problematic. .

I think a 'fresher' look would be warranted....

Who has replaced their original aluminium frames to a perspex/plexiglass or similar windows

Cheers, Pete
no way

Re: replace Aluminium framed windows with tinted perspex etc

Post by no way »

Have previously removed the forward set of Aluminium framed windows - they were bolted in with small bolts - because they were leaking. Took the acrylic out but didn't renew it I then just cleaned it all up and put the whole lot back together and resealed it. The biggest issue is the glazing wedge (rubber) is not available - haven't been able to find it anyway (see previous post on windows) and it could be in worse condition than the perspex so will dictate your solution.
I'm shortly going to do the main windows. The previous post tells you the tricks to using non-framed acrylic or polycarbonate - especially sealing and fixings
kevwr400

Post by kevwr400 »

Know this is an old thread but just did my windows. you can use 2 layers of 6mm wide 3m double sided tape (2 layers required to give enough gap for silicon). The silicon to use is roof and guttering as it allows for high rate of expansion of acrylic sheet.
Attachments
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
cruiserpete

Post by cruiserpete »

Found a fantastic way to seal the windows without screws. Now if some members are like me they're thinking (as I did) screws are the best mechanical fix....well that was until I came across an industrial 3M tape that is used on skyscrapers when a neat/clean finish is required.

It's 3M's VHB 4991 acrylic high-strength 12mm bonding tape. I bought a 12mm x 16.5m role off eBay for $50.

This stuff has very high bonding strength, it water proof, UV resistant and cyclone proof. So combined with Dow's 791 industrial silicone @$14 a tube I'll have a fantastic way to not only bond but also seal my windows to the 563.
I've read a few reviews from boaties re the above combinations used to bond and seal boat windows and 18 months later the windows on their boats are still leak free.
kevwr400

Post by kevwr400 »

Do you have enough room either side of 12mm 3m tape to get enough sealant in both sides? Your recess must be wider than mine, 6mm 3m just allowed enough sealant on AM.
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
cruiserpete

Post by cruiserpete »

kevwr400 wrote:Do you have enough room either side of 12mm 3m tape to get enough sealant in both sides? Your recess must be wider than mine, 6mm 3m just allowed enough sealant on AM.
My windows were not recessed they were flush to the coach sides and only housed in the aluminium frame which as then pop riveted to the coach. I've since removed the old aluminium frame, sealed the old holes with epoxy filler and painted.

I'm also using the 3M VHB tape but I'm using Dow Corning's #791 silicone as it has an expansion rate of nearly 50% and Sikaflex 291 is only 20ish %. The reason for investing in a higher rated silicone is that I believe Perspex has a high expansion rate and after a few years the Sikaflex 291 loses it's bond from the constant expansion movement.

The Dow #790 is a bit dearer at $18 but worth the extra piece of mind.
I'll post up the old aluminium frames in the for sale section if any one is after a second set :)
no way

Post by no way »

I'll take the rubber wedges if they end up needing a home
cruiserpete

Post by cruiserpete »

Finally got around to installing the perspex windows.
I went with 3M's VHB tape and some silicone to form a sealing bead around the window.

My aluminium frames sat flush to the coach-roof so the only modification required was to epoxy fill the old screw holes.

With the 3M tape applied

The 3M tape

I applied heatproof paint to the inside of the windows to cover the look of the tape and silicone. Heatproof paint was recommended because it bonds to perspex brilliantly thus allowing the painted section of the perspex to still bond with the 3m VHB tape. I also kept the packaging wrap on the perspex to act as a sort of mask when I painted the edging then simply peeled it off.

I then drew an outline about 5mm wide and masked that so when I spread the silicone bead it would be easy to clean up and give me a clean straight edge to the silicone.

Then it was a matter of carefully aligning and attaching the perspex to the 3M tape but this tape is so stronge you only get one chance to attach because if you bugger up it is damned hard to get it off.
Voila one new perspez window with a nice silicone bead run around the edge to seal.

Another angle - wow, these windows look fantastic without the million and one scews but I think only time will tell on how well this 3M VHB tape works. They use it to bond thick windows on skyscrapers so it must be pretty decent.

I used:
2x 3mm Perspex from eBay $70 (side windows)
1x 5mm Perspex from eBay $35 (front hatch window)
3x Dow Corning 791 weather proofing Silicone from RS Components NSW ($42 + Free post on the 3 items) so no dearer than Sikaflex but immensiliy better product. The Dow - Corning 791 has an expansion rate of 50% so it will easily hold/move with perspex's expansion rate. Sika Flex polyurethane 291 only has an expansion rate of 22% I feel the Dow -Corning will last longer because it flexes more than sikaflex before giving up its sealant properties.
1x 16.5 Mtr role of 3M VHB tape - 2.3mm thick and 12mm wide $50 ebay.
1x Septone Heatproof spray can $26 local hardware store
1x role 14day masking tape $9

All up the new windows cost me $232 which I think is pretty good value not to mention the screwless look is nice and modern.,
Cheers, Pete
cruiserpete

Post by cruiserpete »

UPDATE;
From CruiserPete :-)

Spoke to the purchaser a few years ago (sadly, he passed away a few years ago, just after speaking with him)
He confirmed that the windows haven't leaked, which is brilliant as this method was untried by me, tried by others but now I'm glad to say, this is an excellent technique to go with. It's not the only technique out there but it's at least one that is now proven to work.

Cheers, all
Safe sailing :-)