Access to Lower Pintle

Dr. Peter

Re: Access to Lower Pintle

Post by Dr. Peter »

Part 3 - cleaning out the old and in with the new sikaflex, and an unanticipated problem
Accessing lower pintles7.jpg
Accessing lower pintles7.jpg (17 KiB) Viewed 4271 times
My sikaflex would not come out through the nozzle end and I ended up scooping it from the back end (it was in one of those toothpaste-like dispensers). I rolled it up* and placed it across the top between the backing plate and the boat and then I used the backing plate to push the stuff past the bolts. A bit more added on the bottom saw it done.

* I was thinking how handy it would be to have 'sikaflex' with the consistency of play dough or plasticine.
Accessing lower pintles8.jpg
Accessing lower pintles8.jpg (21.97 KiB) Viewed 4271 times
I needed help to do up the nuts but was able to undo them by myself. As you can see, I have lots of excess sikaflex. I'll let it cure and I may trim it with a razor blade. I am happy to see some around the bolts.

An unanticipated problem
I used a 5inch holesaw, it was the biggest blade in the kit but it is too small for my screw-up inspection port. I did not allow for the size of the frame making up the port only the hatch itself so I have begun sanding the hole bigger but I might need another drill fitting to speed up the work. I will post more pictures and text when I get back to the job.
Attachments
Accessing lower pintles9.jpg
Accessing lower pintles9.jpg (11.87 KiB) Viewed 4271 times
Peter
Pip #127
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Thanks for detailed pics Peter . Have you considered using cover plates screwed on to cover the holes . You could make them from , stainless or plastic any size or shape you want. Just a thought to save a lot of work.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

That's not a bad idea, Ozzie. I also thought about reusing the nice circular fibreglass panel I had cut out with the hole saw. But I had the inspection ports anyway and thought about the advantages of being able to ventilate the back of the boat easily by simply unscrewing the hatch. See Steve's pictures earlier in the thread.
Peter
Pip #127
Tenaciousgreen

Post by Tenaciousgreen »

I have just installed a hinged rectangular access hatch on mine to replace an old wooden hatch the previous owner had intsalled. Will post a picture when I can. It does look great and gives great access.
Rich Tolley
Yacht Name: Spirit of Christy
Mandurah, WA.
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Part 4 - Fitting the outer ring

The challenge of making the hole a bit bigger required the purchase of a new drill fitting which basically sanded the hole into a larger size. I placed the transparent cover over the hole and used a pencil to mark the size required. The picture shows the job done.
DSCN0570.jpg
DSCN0570.jpg (11.41 KiB) Viewed 4216 times
I used silastic and then attached the outer ring with 3.5mm screws, washers and nuts. It looks good.
DSCN0571.jpg
DSCN0571.jpg (13.06 KiB) Viewed 4216 times
Last edited by Dr. Peter on Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Pip #127
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Part 5 - Finishing off

In retrospect I think I placed the hole a little lower than I should. I needed longer screws for the two lower mounts. The fibreglass was thicker here.
DSCN0572.jpg
DSCN0572.jpg (14.43 KiB) Viewed 4216 times
To finish off I used a little boat grease on the threads of the screw-on transparent cover. It seated firmly.
DSCN0573.jpg
DSCN0573.jpg (12.38 KiB) Viewed 4216 times
Peter
Pip #127
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

I am happy to report that after being in the water for nine days straight, the bilge was bone dry. The repair worked.

Goodness, its been a while between drinks.
Peter
Pip #127